NTR tags rework. Please give your opinions (in a mature, calm, constructive manner).

Which of the options in this thread do you think would be the most helpful?

• 1: Break NTR up into its 3 main categories based on the Japanese words used for them.

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • 2: Keep NTR for just Netorare and use other (English labelled) tags for the other stuff...

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • 3: Other (reply to OP and post your other suggestion)

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
It is ntr because it is done to a LI, to the player it is, to the mc it is not.
Simple.

Oh and that's why I said "technicalities" and why "sex with others" tag exist in vndb.
So this tag will help you there in this case.
I think it depends on what you mean by "in the past". Do you mean last night? She was your LI for the last week, but last night someone fucked her? Then yes, because she was your LI at the time.

Do you mean 5 years ago but you only met her last week? Then no, she was not your LI at the time, so she was not yours to be taken from you. To me, this is "unwanted content" and just a bad decision on the dev's part to include it.

Reactions: 2 users

Myuhinny

LV

Aug 6, 2022
LC COIN
Maybe a tag like LI has sex with other LI since a lot of people tend to get into a tizzy over it and think that's NTR in harem games or other games.

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
Maybe a tag like LI has sex with other LI since a lot of people tend to get into a tizzy over it and think that's NTR in harem games or other games.
Yes, I am working on placing that. I personally have no issue with 2 LIs doing shit as long as they are both girls. I know that is sexist, but I cant change how I feel. So I am having to find a way to add that in without devs losing the Harem tag. Most people who complain about this say "they are not a harem then because it is poly, so they cant have the tag" and I dont agree with that. So I am thinking possible 2 harem tags, one where where that is not allowed and one where it is. Maybe a mix of harem/poly, but... the problem with that is it COULD mean the LIs are allowed to sleep with others not in the harem (such as other guys), and that would REALLY not be a harem. It would have to clearly define that only poly within the harem is allowed. And my brain fucking hurts now.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
U

User_300

Unconfirmed
Please feel free to disagree and correct my interpretation...it seems as though this is a matter of semantics and a "lost in translation" concern. That is, when you take the definition from one culture and assume it applies across all cultural perspectives and definitions, you lose something in the process. The idea that NTR is only one thing and we need tags from the Western language, i.e. Cuckolding, Sharing, etc. is more about people not understanding that, in most cases, we are talking about the same thing - "a rose by any other name, blah, blah, blah..."

Maybe I am missing the mark here, I just feel like having a single tag with an extremely open definition leads to the ongoing conflict about what it all means. I posted the following recently in another thread (apparently I overstepped there) and maybe it helps explain my take on NTR. If it helps, great. If not, that is also great. :)

The 'NTR' tag potentially covers various forms of netorare/netori/netorase and, as such, it can be applied in several ways. (notice there are three separate, yet adjacent terms for NTR ).

Through the actions (or inaction) of the protagonist, or within an agreement with the their partner (wife, fiance, girlfriend), the partner ends up engaging in sexual relations with other people. Typically only the wife/fiance/girlfriend has sex with another (otherwise it is swinging - wherein both partners have sex with different people). Or sharing, wherein the protagonist is willing to have their partner have sex with another as long as they are also involved. Or, swapping, wherein the protagonist will swap their partner, allowing them to have sex with another while they, in turn, are allowed to have sex with the other's partner - yes, it is variation on swinging, although typically reserved for couples swinging together as compared to the swinging where it could be anyone.

In most NTR cases neither partner wants to cheat, although one or both of them is excited by the prospect of sex with another person - either as the participant or as someone that enjoys watching their partner being pleasured by another (yes, they can be involved depending on which version you are talking about *see above*). This can be something that happens based on an agreement between both partners or it could be where the protagonist convinces the other to have sex with someone for their enjoyment or personal gain, basically 'pimping out' or whoring their partner for their own enjoyment.

Regardless of which form it takes, the partner is having sex with another and both parties may enjoy it or, only one enjoys it.

NTR is the satisfaction of a kink/fetish desire, whereas swinging is a lifestyle, polyamory involves romantic feelings with others over the long term, cheating is completely deceptive and cuckolding is where the partner desires sex with others and the protagonist is powerless to stop it from happening (this CAN be a form of NTR, however it isn't the ONLY form of NTR).

All of that said, I see NTR is a much more complex process than standard cheating or cuckolding, which is why we see all of those tags available for visual novels and games here in the forums. In other words, the NTR tag may apply in addition to or in adjacency to the other commonly used tags (swinging, sharing, swapping, cuckolding, cheating, etc.).

Of course, this will continue to be an ongoing argument and the pro-NTR crowd will demand their NTR and the Harem crowd will scream "they are all MINE!!", while the incest group is just hoping mom and the siblings give it up with their aunt's encouragement and the MILF crowd will only really care if the MC is younger with the "landlady's" booty big enough for 4K full screen...all while the loli folks wonder where the uncensored versions of their VN/game can be found.

At any rate, I am rambling and just wanted to share a definition and take on the NTR thing. (Disclaimer: This is after reading several other definitions of the term and comparing it to what was used in the West).

Because NTR isn't as simple as a lot of people try to make it sound, there will continue to be arguments.

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
Please feel free to disagree and correct my interpretation...it seems as though this is a matter of semantics and a "lost in translation" concern. That is, when you take the definition from one culture and assume it applies across all cultural perspectives and definitions, you lose something in the process. The idea that NTR is only one thing and we need tags from the Western language, i.e. Cuckolding, Sharing, etc. is more about people not understanding that, in most cases, we are talking about the same thing - "a rose by any other name, blah, blah, blah..."

Maybe I am missing the mark here, I just feel like having a single tag with an extremely open definition leads to the ongoing conflict about what it all means. I posted the following recently in another thread (apparently I overstepped there) and maybe it helps explain my take on NTR. If it helps, great. If not, that is also great. :)

The 'NTR' tag potentially covers various forms of netorare/netori/netorase and, as such, it can be applied in several ways. (notice there are three separate, yet adjacent terms for NTR ).

Through the actions (or inaction) of the protagonist, or within an agreement with the their partner (wife, fiance, girlfriend), the partner ends up engaging in sexual relations with other people. Typically only the wife/fiance/girlfriend has sex with another (otherwise it is swinging - wherein both partners have sex with different people). Or sharing, wherein the protagonist is willing to have their partner have sex with another as long as they are also involved. Or, swapping, wherein the protagonist will swap their partner, allowing them to have sex with another while they, in turn, are allowed to have sex with the other's partner - yes, it is variation on swinging, although typically reserved for couples swinging together as compared to the swinging where it could be anyone.

In most NTR cases neither partner wants to cheat, although one or both of them is excited by the prospect of sex with another person - either as the participant or as someone that enjoys watching their partner being pleasured by another (yes, they can be involved depending on which version you are talking about *see above*). This can be something that happens based on an agreement between both partners or it could be where the protagonist convinces the other to have sex with someone for their enjoyment or personal gain, basically 'pimping out' or whoring their partner for their own enjoyment.

Regardless of which form it takes, the partner is having sex with another and both parties may enjoy it or, only one enjoys it.

NTR is the satisfaction of a kink/fetish desire, whereas swinging is a lifestyle, polyamory involves romantic feelings with others over the long term, cheating is completely deceptive and cuckolding is where the partner desires sex with others and the protagonist is powerless to stop it from happening (this CAN be a form of NTR, however it isn't the ONLY form of NTR).

All of that said, I see NTR is a much more complex process than standard cheating or cuckolding, which is why we see all of those tags available for visual novels and games here in the forums. In other words, the NTR tag may apply in addition to or in adjacency to the other commonly used tags (swinging, sharing, swapping, cuckolding, cheating, etc.).

Of course, this will continue to be an ongoing argument and the pro-NTR crowd will demand their NTR and the Harem crowd will scream "they are all MINE!!", while the incest group is just hoping mom and the siblings give it up with their aunt's encouragement and the MILF crowd will only really care if the MC is younger with the "landlady's" booty big enough for 4K full screen...all while the loli folks wonder where the uncensored versions of their VN/game can be found.

At any rate, I am rambling and just wanted to share a definition and take on the NTR thing. (Disclaimer: This is after reading several other definitions of the term and comparing it to what was used in the West).

Because NTR isn't as simple as a lot of people try to make it sound, there will continue to be arguments.
And this is 100% why I am trying to rework this tag, so the single "NTR" tag does not try to cover 100 different things that people dislike and instantly call NTR.

Some antiNTR people dont mind sharing. I do mind it. If we have tags to show that it is sharing (MC doesnt mind), those people can say "Im fine with that" but I can say "No thanks". We both get our way and I dont come into the thread later "WHAT THE FUCK!! WHY IS SOME DUDE FUCKING MY LI??? NTR I HOPE YOU ALL DIE!!!"

I dont mind two girls in my harem eating each other out while I am out fucking some other girl to recruit her to my harem. But some (a lot as I am finding) DO. They consider this cheating/NTR. So if there is a tag that covers this, I can say "Im fine with that" and they can say "No thanks."

The problem is there are so many of these and I want to avoid adding 100 new confusing tags, so I am trying to be as smart as I can about breaking these down into sub-tags so they are easy to understand and do not become a ton of work (for staff, players or devs).

As it is right now, I might avoid a game with the NTR tag only to later find out the NTR in question is one of the female LIs (who is your sister) eating out your other LI (who is also your sister) and I would have been fine with this if I had known, but I avoid the NTR tag so I would never even give it a chance.

Reactions: 2 users

Myuhinny

LV

Aug 6, 2022
LC COIN
I personally have no issue with 2 LIs doing shit as long as they are both girls.
Same I have no problem if the LI's want to have fun with each other hell I don't even have a problem if LI's want to have sex with other female characters other then other LI's.

I'm not much for NTR as long as it's avoidable I'm fine with it but it also depends on who is doing the NTRing. If it's the token ugly fat bastard - token ugly old prune - token black dude - token I got hit with the ugly tree dudes then I will avoid all content with them but if it's a female character doing it then I have no problem with it. So trying to search through NTR based games for one that has a female character seducing the MC's LI is hard to find because you have to search through all of them just to find one that has a female character doing the seducing. So maybe a tag like female doing the NTR or something.

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
Same I have no problem if the LI's want to have fun with each other hell I don't even have a problem if LI's want to have sex with other female characters other then other LI's.
Same, its sexist of me, but as long as the other female character is not actively trying to take her from you, it doesnt bother me.

SeveredRealms

Nobody Knows
Staff member
Head-Mod
Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Lewd
LV

Apr 23, 2022
Website
subscribestar.adult
LC COIN
Prestige 3 (Work in progress)
Prestige 4 (WIP)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Same, its sexist of me, but as long as the other female character is not actively trying to take her from you, it doesnt bother me.
And this is the great debate so how to properly tag it... I can deal with a little of the lesbian stuff but it always bothers me when the mc is not somehow directly involved. I have already discussed this with others in my games. My Li's will not all be bi nor will they do any lesbian stuff without the mc somehow being in the middle of it and it never happens without him. (Example: Lily in Severed Realms will be bi BUT she will never do anything with ANY girl withouth the mc present. She will be one of the girls that help lure other girls to the mc's bed.)

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
And this is the great debate so how to properly tag it... I can deal with a little of the lesbian stuff but it always bothers me when the mc is not somehow directly involved. I have already discussed this with others in my games. My Li's will not all be bi nor will they do any lesbian stuff without the mc somehow being in the middle of it and it never happens without him. (Example: Lily in Severed Realms will be bi BUT she will never do anything with ANY girl withouth the mc present. She will be one of the girls that help lure other girls to the mc's bed.)
To be fair, I am not really into lesbian shit either. But one of my favorite genres is incest, and lesbian shit between sisters or mother/daughter is hot (to me). If its not an incest harem, I am less into the girl-on-girl only shit. But that would be TOO in depth for tags. So I cant narrow it down that much without just making a fucking mess.

U

User_9060

Unconfirmed
I think it depends on what you mean by "in the past". Do you mean last night? She was your LI for the last week, but last night someone fucked her? Then yes, because she was your LI at the time.

Do you mean 5 years ago but you only met her last week? Then no, she was not your LI at the time, so she was not yours to be taken from you. To me, this is "unwanted content" and just a bad decision on the dev's part to include it.
When I say "flashback" I mean any scene that shows a Li fucking some dude before the mc meets her, those are flashback scenes.... and they are ntr to the player as I said (because the LI's are for the players so they are getting cucked), to the mc is not but that is the whole reason of technicalities.

A LI is a LI the moment the game start, they are defined the moment the dev starts the game.

Anyway, pointless to debate about this further because we won't see eye to eye on this ;).

Reactions: 1 users

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
When I say "flashback" I mean any scene that shows a Li fucking some dude before the mc meets her, those are flashback scenes.... and they are ntr to the player as I said (because the LI's are for the players so they are getting cucked), to the mc is not but that is the whole reason of technicalities.

A LI is a LI the moment the game start, they are defined the moment the dev starts the game.

Anyway, pointless to debate about this further because we won't see eye to eye on this ;).
But by your definition, we would have to view every incest game where the MC likes his mother kinda like NTR skippable. It happens, you just dont see it.

Also, you are 18. You SUDDENLY decide your mother is hot and want to fuck her. She had sex with your father 18 years ago. She was defined an LI today, but she had sex 18 years ago. She was not an LI when the act happened. So unless she has sex with your father again TODAY, that should not be NTR. We could basically say that with your definition, any game with a non virgin is NTR. I am all for virgins in VNs, but... that is going too far.

SeveredRealms

Nobody Knows
Staff member
Head-Mod
Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Lewd
LV

Apr 23, 2022
Website
subscribestar.adult
LC COIN
Prestige 4 (WIP)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Problem most have in that aspect is yes they of course had to have had sex or the mc would not be here. We all know it had to have happened but the player not the mc is percieving it and injecting themselves into the story so if a dev "shows" past scenes of any Li having sex it bothers them. Also knowing each and every one of their past sex partners.... They consider it TMI. So wtf kind of tag would it be lol. "LI past sex life shown" lmao yea no wont work. Major diliema when trying to make up tags I know.

• Thinking
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
U

User_9060

Unconfirmed
But by your definition, we would have to view every incest game where the MC likes his mother kinda like NTR skippable. It happens, you just dont see it.

Also, you are 18. You SUDDENLY decide your mother is hot and want to fuck her. She had sex with your father 18 years ago. She was defined an LI today, but she had sex 18 years ago. She was not an LI when the act happened. So unless she has sex with your father again TODAY, that should not be NTR. We could basically say that with your definition, any game with a non virgin is NTR. I am all for virgins in VNs, but... that is going too far.
If the dev shows the mom getting fucked by the dad to the player when the game start or is hinted in the text they are still having sex.... yeah it is ntr to the player because you are showing a LI he will be able to romance getting fucked by someone else, ( you are getting cucked as the player). (The main problem here is MC vs player)
the player will feel like he is getting cucked.......etc
Dunno how to explain it further without sounding aggressive or imposing my view since I'm always very direct when I write and it may sound even a bit offensive .:LOL:

When you make a game, you must know who are the girls the mc will romance, at that moment you already know who are the lis.... as for the players the moment you tell them is incest or who they can romance they will know.
In most, if not all games you already know the moment you start the game, usually said by the devs since many do custom renders.

SeveredRealms

Nobody Knows
Staff member
Head-Mod
Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Lewd
LV

Apr 23, 2022
Website
subscribestar.adult
LC COIN
Prestige 4 (WIP)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
If the dev shows the mom getting fucked by the dad to the player when the game start or is hinted in the text they are still having sex.... yeah it is ntr to the player because you are showing a LI he will be able to romance getting fucked by someone else, ( you are getting cucked as the player). (The main problem here is MC vs player)
Dunno how to explain it further without sounding aggressive or imposing my view since I'm always very direct when I write and it may sound even a bit offensive .:LOL:

When you make a game, you must know who are the girls the mc will romance, at that moment you already know who are the lis.... as for the players the moment you tell them is incest or who they can romance they will know.
In most, if not all games you already know the moment you start the game, usually said by the devs since many do custom renders.
But what would we use as a tag to define that. Blanket tags are great but I understand what your saying so what kind of tag would we use? I know as a player I do not want to see those and would like to be warned in advance. It would be great if devs just plain and simply didn't put those scenes in but many just dont get it the way you or I do. they see it as the MC no caring so why should the player. Example Lukes Way and the Gia mess the dev brought in. The mom was literally NTRing the mc originally. Telling Gia not to listen to him and doing it anyway. The mc was like oh well ok??? Player sitting there saying WTF lmao.

micmitja

Registered
Lewd
LV

Aug 10, 2022
LC COIN
Well there is a thing about "Watching others fuck", whether future li or some side chars you never gona fuck, in real time or as flashbacks regardless are scenes i dont wish to see, its all same in my book, well one thing is worst than another (if li) but still same. And i avoid them by any means, if i cant then i avoid the game, there are too many those days to care anyway. To add talking about other male dicks, me personally dont care much if lis having fun together inside harem as long as they dont leave mc stranded, tho i know for many is the same.

Last edited:

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
Problem most have in that aspect is yes they of course had to have had sex or the mc would not be here. We all know it had to have happened but the player not the mc is percieving it and injecting themselves into the story so if a dev "shows" past scenes of any Li having sex it bothers them. Also knowing each and every one of their past sex partners.... They consider it TMI. So wtf kind of tag would it be lol. "LI past sex life shown" lmao yea no wont work. Major diliema when trying to make up tags I know.
This is the problem. Just because it is kinda like NTR, does not mean we should be using the same word. I have had this discussion with LOTS of anti-NTR people and the closest I have been able to come up with that fits is "unwanted content" but since some people like that, I am leaning towards "Possible Unwanted Content". Shit that a decent percent of people would not want to see. I am taking feedback from this thread to build out a list of new/altered tags and their definitions and that is what I have it labelled as for now (until I can find a better term).

Just because the player feels like that does not make it true. I totally get what you are saying. I am just trying to say that facts matter more than feelings for something like a tag. At least in my opinion. I agree the content IS BAD for most people (myself included). I just do not agree that calling it by an incorrect name is helping us. It hurts us in the long run because then we all look like idiots who just scream NTR anything we dont like something because we cant think of something to call it.

I dont like seeing scat, but I dont scream NTR when I see scat in a game because I dont like it. Just like with sharing. So many people call that NTR. I hate sharing (with males) so I avoid that shit, but I dont call it NTR. Because if you are sharing, you are not losing, and part of the wording for netorare is "taken away" which denotes loss. Loss of something requires you to have it in the first place. I cant take your money if you have none.

Based on your opinion, we might as well just leave NTR alone and let anything that the player feels is negative fit under it. But... then... we still have the players who are like "I liked watching dad fuck my mom, so its not negative to me" and we are back in the same position again. The point of this is to break shit up when there are 2 different sides of it. Some like it, some dont.

U

User_9060

Unconfirmed
But what would we use as a tag to define that. Blanket tags are great but I understand what your saying so what kind of tag would we use? I know as a player I do not want to see those and would like to be warned in advance. It would be great if devs just plain and simply didn't put those scenes in but many just dont get it the way you or I do. they see it as the MC no caring so why should the player. Example Lukes Way and the Gia mess the dev brought in. The mom was literally NTRing the mc originally. Telling Gia not to listen to him and doing it anyway. The mc was like oh well ok??? Player sitting there saying WTF lmao.
"sex with others" since we can't agree on technicalities and whatnot, just add that tag and add it to games that show a li having sex with someone else that is not the mc.
Then in the genre spoiler the dev can add what type of "sex with other" is (FF) (MF) etc

Darkrift411

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
"sex with others" since we can't agree on technicalities and whatnot, just add that tag and add it to games that show a li having sex with someone else that is not the mc.
Then in the genre spoiler the dev can add what type of "sex with other" is (FF) (MF) etc
This is basically what I am doing, but I want to to include a few more things, so the name is more broad. If you get the tag, you get to explain why so the possible players can make a better decision.

Reactions: 4 users

ErzuzB

Former LCC Billionaire
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jul 8, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Has anyone ever done their dissertation on this? Sounds like one could get a doctoral degree for it. :whistle:

I would say: Drop the the Japanese terms (even if they describe specific types of it) because if you ask 200 people about netorare, you will get ~200 different explanations and expectations.
But the abbreviation NTR as a catchword can be kept, although in combination with other words. That way it's easier to recognize.

Let me try to explain. These are examples and I hope it's clear for what I'm going for. :unsure:
First there are the main NTR tags:

NTR (cheating LI) or NTR (cuckoldry)
NTR (cheating MC)
NTR (stolen LI) pretty much the common definition of netorare
NTR (swinging) happy cheating? :p
NTR (sharing) would probably include pimping your girls, but that could also be it's own tag
NTR (stealing) this is Netori, could go without the NTR prefix because I don't think anyone is bothered by it

Then there can or should(?) be additional tags, which are not needed to be used on their own but with one of the above.
(Many hentai sites uses this kind of additional tags in different variants. For example: [Lesbian] [Females only] makes clear that there are no guys involved in that story)

NTR (avoidable) or NTR (unavoidable) there is no really a need for both, right? As a side tag, there isn't a need for a tag for every kind of NTR
NTR (flashback) as in a shown scene or as a told story
NTR (backstory) not shown or described but implied or mentioned
NTR (between LIs) could also be a standalone?
NTR (happy cuck) when the MC likes it, e.g. Netorase

I know this is kinda much and there are probably most likley more or better formulatet ones, but my point is, that everyone can quickly understand what that tag stands for without consulting a definition-page.

ontach

Registered
Lewd
LV

Sep 10, 2022
LC COIN
What I'd really like (applies to most tags, not just NTR) is for the tags to be colour coded to indicate how avoidable that tag is. Eg. RED for unavoidable and GREEN for easily avoidable, maybe ORANGE for avoidable using a walkthrough. Bestiality, scat, urination, etc. should also use this feature. Even something like BIG TITS - red would mean that everyone has grossly oversized tits; green would indicate a mix of big and normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom