Is it worth selling your old computer where you are at?

RHS71

Registered
LV

May 6, 2023
LC COIN
Not really...? I've upgraded my video card and have been trying to sell the old one but no one wants to buy it at the price I'm selling, and I don't want to sell it for the price they want, so, eh?

BadFox1

Registered
LV

Apr 27, 2023
LC COIN
This whole conversation made me think of something people say in the used car world LOL. I love the adds that say price is firm, don't bother me if you don't like it. I know what I have and I'll scrap it if no one buys it for my price... I dye laughing every time. Little over dramatic there bud? Sure you're gonna scrap it for 1/3 the price you are asking uh huh... If you are too high on price it's pretty easy to tell by the response you get. I figure rather than let things sit around here in my way collecting dust I might as well let someone else get some use out of them. Some people may think differently but that is how I feel. I rarely sell parts and a lot of times find myself buying parts to complete a system. I have the drives I want and usually just swap my drives to my new system. When I do update drives usually one of my kids get my old drive. I rarely sell a used drive. I just sold an older PC this week. Nothing really special, I had a used AsRock H110 BTC+MB and a i5 7600 plus a GTX 1060 6GB that was mined on for years 450w PSU and I bought a Montech X3 case and a 1TB M.2 SATA SSD sold it for $375 in a day. I spent $110 building it plus the other parts that payed for themselves in ETH YEARS ago. Guy bought it for his brothers birthday, It was going to be his first PC. I find it much easier to sell a whole system vs parts.

fir3219

Registered
LV

May 4, 2023
LC COIN
It depends. I always buy quite expensive hardware and then assemble my PC. If I replace something you can still get a lot for it on eBay. At the time when RAM was so expensive I was even able to sell my DDR3 Ram for more money than I paid...

proamazing4002

Registered
LV

Jul 22, 2022
LC COIN
It depends, I have a video card and RAM that where I live I can make some money, but on a more basic computer I prefer to just remove the disks and give them to someone I know who will use them.

gbfacc999

Registered
LV

Nov 12, 2023
LC COIN
I usually just replace the disk with a new one and sell it for half the price of the original. They do get bought and sometimes like my old laptops its usually students.

Hobobobb

Registered
LV

Oct 16, 2023
LC COIN
I just realized my attic is becoming quite full with old computers, every 2-3 years I tend to buy a new computer with latest and greatest hardware. Like i have just put away an 5800x3d computer with rtx3080 nvidia the other day, since I have upgraded to 7800x3d with 7900gre. I always keep my old computers, since I have a lot of room and no need to sell for funds. Does anyone have experience reselling computers? Do you keep the ssd's in or sell without? Is it actually worth selling? What prices would like my 3rd oldest system get it consists of a I9-11900k , 32gb, 1tb nvme ssd, with 6800xt amd. In a rgb case I don't know the name.

I recommend removing the SSD/HDD and turning it on for at least 30 seconds to ensure RAM is completely cleared, no matter what you do.

After that there are a few options;

1) check and see if the Motherboard has onboard video. If it does, pull the video card out and Sell that on Facebook or something similar (3080) is still a fairly good gamer card and you shouldn't have issues finding a buyer at a decent price. The rest of the computer you can donate, as there are always people/groups who need them.

2) you can turn it into a server if you have a use for such things, a personal NAS or home media server can be fun to build/setup if you are a techofile.

3) you could probably sell the unit as a whole, as the specs are still decent enough for someone who isn't 4k gaming. If this is the case, I would recommend some flyers around a college/university (whatever they call them in your area). There is always someone that is looking to upgrade, and always people who have a shitty old system.

Back
Top Bottom