Is it worth selling your old computer where you are at?

Test385

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 30, 2022
LC COIN
I just realized my attic is becoming quite full with old computers, every 2-3 years I tend to buy a new computer with latest and greatest hardware. Like i have just put away an 5800x3d computer with rtx3080 nvidia the other day, since I have upgraded to 7800x3d with 7900gre. I always keep my old computers, since I have a lot of room and no need to sell for funds. Does anyone have experience reselling computers? Do you keep the ssd's in or sell without? Is it actually worth selling? What prices would like my 3rd oldest system get it consists of a I9-11900k , 32gb, 1tb nvme ssd, with 6800xt amd. In a rgb case I don't know the name.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Nairod

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 26, 2022
LC COIN
Wow, I must be due for a new PC, going on about 10 years now. I am not a PC gamer though.

Reactions: 4 users

Freyr

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jul 23, 2022
LC COIN
In my opinion, selling isn't really worth it.

I do sometimes give my old PC to friends who don't need the latest and greatest, just something that runs Word and a browser. It serves them for a few more years, sometimes even until I am ready to upgrade once more.

However I ALWAYS remove the HDD/SSD and if I don't have a use for it anymore, I destroy it.

NotTheMama

Registered
Lewd
LV

Nov 29, 2023
LC COIN
In my opinion, selling isn't really worth it.

I do sometimes give my old PC to friends who don't need the latest and greatest, just something that runs Word and a browser. It serves them for a few more years, sometimes even until I am ready to upgrade once more.

However I ALWAYS remove the HDD/SSD and if I don't have a use for it anymore, I destroy it.
I do the same. A gaming PC I built back in 2017 is basically worthless now, can't run Borderlands 2 without framerate issues at full graphics. All it can run is basically a browser and some RTS games. Yanked the HDD and gave it away.

k73107b6vn

Professional Sleeper
Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 3, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I never sell my old hdd or ssd but when I change a part and I can easily resell what I've changed, I try to sell. Otherwise, I update my "server".
Edit : I've never sold my old cases, too much of a hassle.

GiantPixi

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 17, 2022
LC COIN
I tend to break old PC's down for spare parts incase anything goes dramatically wrong with my rig and I need to bodge a repair job before buying new.

Can't really throw it out as I have used the same case for years now, just replace what's in it.

Reactions: 1 user

SegmentCoalescing

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 8, 2023
LC COIN
If you sell, I think you are better off taking them apart and selling the parts. Since RAM generations are quite long, it may be smart to keep a kit or two as spares just in case yours happen to fail.
As for the specific parts you mentioned, the 11900k can go for a decent amount because it was the last high end CPU on LGA 1200. There's always a market for that as it is a cheap upgrade for those who want it since they already own the rest of the parts.
6800 XT is still a very good graphics card so that's also something that you will be able to sell with ease.

I'd personally keep the storage, I wouldn't sell it.
I have a question for you though, why are you buying PCs so often instead of getting a PC with more high end parts? There's not a massive difference in performance between the 6800 XT, RTX 3080 and 7900 GRE. It is your money but it kinda doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

hihiwifi

Registered
LV

Mar 28, 2024
LC COIN
Right now I'm running a R9 5900x, RTX 3090, and 64gb of ram. Got a full water loop in there from EKWB and that fancy Lian Li O11D-XL distro plate. Still running 4k perfectly fine, so I'm 100% percent keeping it for a few more years. My OLD system however... I may need that i7-8700k and 2080 Super for something one day! :ROFLMAO:

Freyr

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jul 23, 2022
LC COIN
I have a question for you though, why are you buying PCs so often instead of getting a PC with more high end parts? There's not a massive difference in performance between the 6800 XT, RTX 3080 and 7900 GRE. It is your money but it kinda doesn't make much sense.

It does depend what you do with said PC.

But you are right. PC's last way longer than they used to.

Dropper

Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 1, 2024
LC COIN
I tend to upgrade my PC more than just outright purchase a new one. PC parts go quickly and for a decent price around here, helps with paying for new parts as I usually pay in installments. New parts are not cheap.

My only regret with my current configuration is that I opted for an AiO cooler instead of an air cooler. The idle temperatures are way higher than they would be with an air cooler in similar setups from what I've researched. In the future I'll definitely only go for air cooling.

Test385

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 30, 2022
LC COIN
Thank everyone for your reactions I am not thinking of selling off the old videocards and just keep the cases. it seems I can still get some JPÂ¥ for them.

Tobototo

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 15, 2022
LC COIN
I worked restoring computers for a charitable association offering free stuff for poor people.
They always look for this kind of stuff

SegmentCoalescing

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 8, 2023
LC COIN
It does depend what you do with said PC.

But you are right. PC's last way longer than they used to.
Yes it does, but in this case the graphics cards at least are very similar in terms of performance.

The OP seems to go after the top gaming CPUs (5800x3d, 7800x3D, 9800x3d in the future?) but for some reason sticking around the same performance for the graphics cards. They are the most expensive parts here and the total cost of two of these cards could've bought either a 7900 XTX or RTX 4080 that perform much better, instead of what is essentially a side grade.

Like I said, it's their money but it doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: 1 users

shadowsmite

Registered
Lewd
LV

Nov 25, 2023
LC COIN
I am tempted to sell my 3080ti and upgrade to a 4080 super, but it seems so unnecessary and wrong timing :(

Fauxaltruism

Say no to Loli/shota/milf
Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 10, 2023
LC COIN
i tinker with them or make dedicated EMU server and hook it up to my TV, its fun for a bit.

pumpkinpatch

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 26, 2024
LC COIN
I tend to break old PC's down for spare parts incase anything goes dramatically wrong with my rig and I need to bodge a repair job before buying new.

Can't really throw it out as I have used the same case for years now, just replace what's in it.
I second this. Strip it for parts, keep what you want as a backup (or simply add to your new system if the part isn't outdated).
Then, sell what you don't need. If you find the right buyers you could maybe even get more money this way rather than trying to make one big sale.

SHALASHASKA_ZERO

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jul 13, 2023
LC COIN
I usually gradually upgrade my PC up until a point where I have to buy a new one (maybe every 5 yrs or so ) and give my old my PC to someone

Karth

Registered
LV

Jan 5, 2024
LC COIN
I've been keeping all my old computers with the "this could go in a NAS maybe" excuse... but they're so worthless I might as well dump them.

arukas

Registered
LV

Apr 4, 2024
LC COIN
Where I'm living selling off old computer parts is a lot better than paying to have them disposed of. I didn't make a lot of money off of three broken laptops, selling them for scrap, but I did make closet space.

Back
Top Bottom