Is it worth selling your old computer where you are at?

draslimeil

Registered
LV

Jun 3, 2022
LC COIN
Man, I'm still on a 5600x and 3080ti and feel no need to upgrade. You might get more from selling the main stuff piecemeal and using the rest for a server build.

baumeb5

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jul 20, 2023
LC COIN
Used parts seem to have a market. Maybe sell the parts one by one?

Reactions: 1 user

momothemonster

the creature whom lurks
Registered
LV

Jan 7, 2024
LC COIN
i'm saavy enough that if it has a hdd it gets nuked and given new life(i still have a few from my win 98 days to laugh at since back then i thought i'd never fill a 4 gb hdd and now i have programs that fill 20x that).

a ssd can never truely have the data it has had over it's life completely gone so they either go into one of my current builds or get destroyed(a ssd works like paper and pencil, even if you erase and rewrite multiple times there is still the indents in the paper that some nerds can actually decipher into what you had) far as selling it depends. my expierience is if it is too far out of date cost to ship exceeds value of the machine. when i buy laptops i usually get the highest spec i can so it can run everything for around a decade before falling to the side of obsolete(current machine is 12 years old and just now is getting where there is a few higher end aaa games i can't run) as far as selling it goes right now i could get ~$150 when it costed me $2k to buy. in another 3 years i'd probably get a update if prices aren't too insane

i usually keep my old tech(yes i'm a hoarder. give me a break i got rid of my older than p4 machines) the desktops have reusable components and usually you can sell the mobo cheap($15 + shipping) the laptops that are pentium m(shrunk down pentium 4) or above i keep mostly to help family/friends since i don't get upset if a computer that would get me <$50 gets trashed due to grandpa spilling coffee or my 8 yo cousin phil broke it going places online he shouldn't be

UhhMMMaaa

Registered
LV

Apr 5, 2024
LC COIN
From what I've seen, PC prices fall like a rock, after just a few years. Some try to get close to the original price, but most people aren't willing to do that. The lack of any warranty, and the unknown level of deterioration tends to keep people away from used computers in my experience, unless they're really cheap. Individual used parts have a larger chance of being sold, as they are needed by people that keep old computers around for old games and software that won't run properly on modern operating systems.

Republican Bear

Your Loli's Are Mine
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
LV

Nov 25, 2022
LC COIN
Used parts are a good way to pay less for better hardware but you always run the risk of getting scammed.

Rule of thumb if it looks to good to be true it usually is.

Doritos756

Registered
LV

Jul 8, 2023
LC COIN
Ye i got a spare system as well, i could get 400-500 for it maybe? but i value having a spare/backup PC more than that.

momothemonster

the creature whom lurks
Registered
LV

Jan 7, 2024
LC COIN
it's actually kinda ironic you can usually get more money from your computer as parts. this is due to someone trying to either keep a machine running, upgrade a old machine to let the kids use it, or upgrades>some people feel the need to have the latest and greatest so they will sell tech 1 or 2 gens below current. you can find some good deals such as a 1080ti(has it's limitations but if it is a verified good card they actually can still run basically all the games that are out/coming out this year) for under $100 from time to time.
main problem is there is grifters and idiots who will do some bs repairs. putting your gpu/xbox in the oven to make it work again is not a fix, it's a idiots way to make whatever is not making contact work briefly again(might last a whole decade but will eventually fail again and will never be 100%). i used to do ps3/xbox repairs but i got tired of the low grade idiots who would sell me a parts console under false premises(had a policy to only take units with a warranty sticker since i knew what the problems usually were but if they baked the board into oblivion there could be no usable components that i'd trust in a client's machine to it'd go into the bin and all i'd get is $3 in screws for a $20-$80 investment) i had a knucklehead sell me a machine with a warranty sticker that he basically raped the case to take it apart without destroying the sticker. he melted the pcb and delaminated the cpu, gpu, mobo, and left scorch marks on all the critical components. biggest slap in the face was half the screws were missing too. needless to say he got bad feedback and i blacklisted him.

Reactions: 1 user

ontach

Registered
Lewd
LV

Sep 10, 2022
LC COIN
This is a good article for info about how to securely erase your data from your drives.

Another good idea is to buy an SSD adapter and use the old SSD as an extrnal drive - very fast, very handy, much better than an external HDD.

momothemonster

the creature whom lurks
Registered
LV

Jan 7, 2024
LC COIN
This is a good article for info about how to securely erase your data from your drives.

Another good idea is to buy an SSD adapter and use the old SSD as an extrnal drive - very fast, very handy, much better than an external HDD.
depends on your tbw count(i eat through it fairly quick. a ssd usually lasts me around 8-10 years before being a read only medium). nuking the data on a ssd eats through the count(you are basically writing over what was previously there multiple times. certain alphabet soup groups have data analysis groups who can sometimes rebuild the overwritten data. unless you become a really big target chances are you'll never encounter them. personally i tend to be more on the paranoid side in case i tick off the wrong person by accident some day).
ironically old dumb magnetic disk hdd's if you keep them powered off and in the correct conditions are a more reliable long term data storage than ssd's with same environment.

Reactions: 1 users

tachbir

Registered
LV

Dec 22, 2022
LC COIN
I bought a new computer a few months ago and my old one entered the trickle down path, now a more bohemian and poor friend is rocking my old 1080 ti.

Urusaisenpai

Registered
Lewd
LV

Apr 27, 2023
LC COIN
I just realized my attic is becoming quite full with old computers, every 2-3 years I tend to buy a new computer with latest and greatest hardware. Like i have just put away an 5800x3d computer with rtx3080 nvidia the other day, since I have upgraded to 7800x3d with 7900gre. I always keep my old computers, since I have a lot of room and no need to sell for funds. Does anyone have experience reselling computers? Do you keep the ssd's in or sell without? Is it actually worth selling? What prices would like my 3rd oldest system get it consists of a I9-11900k , 32gb, 1tb nvme ssd, with 6800xt amd. In a rgb case I don't know the name.
Bro stop flexing on us :LOL:
Jokes side
I never sold my pc cuz it always been so out of date that in reality i had to PAY them to take it from my HANDS :LOL:

Demon Dan

Are any of us really here?
Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 8, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I just realized my attic is becoming quite full with old computers, every 2-3 years I tend to buy a new computer with latest and greatest hardware. Like i have just put away an 5800x3d computer with rtx3080 nvidia the other day, since I have upgraded to 7800x3d with 7900gre. I always keep my old computers, since I have a lot of room and no need to sell for funds. Does anyone have experience reselling computers? Do you keep the ssd's in or sell without? Is it actually worth selling? What prices would like my 3rd oldest system get it consists of a I9-11900k , 32gb, 1tb nvme ssd, with 6800xt amd. In a rgb case I don't know the name.
I am the same way. I don't know what I did before dual screen laptops and folding phones. I tend to alternate phone and laptop. I do have experience in this area so dm me if you want some tips or have questions. You asked several questions and would want to give you the best info so you can get the most $. SSD is too generic to price without more info such as is it 4x3 or 4x4 and read / write speeds or is is a sata ssd.

VNEnjoyer4eva

Registered
LV

Jul 26, 2023
LC COIN
Not here, I bought a $3000 computer about a year ago, it depreciated so badly I got like $700 for it. Shoulda just kept it I think.

AsuraEU

Dicktator Fucktastic
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
LV

Mar 22, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Just sell the parts if you absolutely don't intend to store these computers or use them. Keep the parts that can be useful like SSDs and be done with it.

Freyr

Registered
LV

Jul 23, 2022
LC COIN

Perhaps, but I am not going to take the risk for the few bucks I am going to get for a second hand HDD.

In my opinion the only way to secure erase a HDD is to wipe it, and then physically destroy it. And finally make sure that when/if you dispose of the parts of the platters it's not traceable to you.

nero7

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Registered
LV

Feb 10, 2023
LC COIN
you should sell quickly cuz they depreciate in value insanely fast.

BadFox1

Registered
LV

Apr 27, 2023
LC COIN
I sell all my old PC's and when I rebuild I usually upgrade EVERYTHING. I just sold my 5800x 3070. I am waiting for Zen 5 so I built a holdover 7600. I had another 3070 so I used it. I also sold a 10700 3060ti. I get good money. I go through and just write 0's to the Drives and reinstall. I do take precautions. I was a miner back in the day and at my max I was running 38 GPU's 24/7. That's small potatoes but luckily I got out during the last short boom and sold all my GPU's at HUGE Gains LOL. Timing timing timing.

Back
Top Bottom