Abandoned Games

NateDawg59

Registered
Lewd
Feb 28, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
Some devs get in their own head and can't escape. So many games fell victim to devs who couldn't make up their minds about one system/plot or another.

Reactions: 1 user

TheVampirate

Pope of the Loli Church
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Mar 25, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
Sometimes I'm afraid to start watching a new title and support it until it has several versions for fear of starting a story that I like so much that then it breaks my heart to never know the outcome.
3 main things kill games; Burnout, Economics, and ability issues. Burnout happens and releases slow down they lose intrest and the project dies. Economics kills games in 2 ways, one is its expensive to make a game and they could often work for someone else doing something else and making more money for the amount of hours it takes. The other is people who get into it thinking they're going to get rich and surprised when it doesn't work out. That folds into the 3rd thing of skill issues where the creators lack something needed to make the game well/efficiently. Many solo artists are either unable to code but can write or draw well and their games kind of are a mess or have to put the game on rails. Programmers often have harder time with the story and art of their game and then releases slow down and it ends up abandoned.

Gazon731

Registered
Lewd
Aug 8, 2022
Threads
LC COIN
Another red flag - separate developer and artist. This is very bad, if artist leave the game will get abandon OR change in art will kill the game. I remember only one case when new artist made art better - House Chores.

NateDawg59

Registered
Lewd
Feb 28, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
Everybody wants to be a DrPinkcake until they see the big team and massively powered setups Being a Dik takes. Anymore if you want attention you'll need a team of people all handling a specific job.

fyl3toys

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Aug 20, 2022
Threads
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I'm going with the plot. So many developers write from the standpoint of scenario without bothering to develop a coherent and interesting story. In a lot of cases it's "let's just see what happens next".

That kind of madlibs storytelling can lead to burnout real quick when you know coming up with the next part of the story is followed by graphics, coding, and sound work to boot.

I'd imagine that gets old real quick.

Uncle Loco

Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Lewd
May 19, 2022
Threads
LC COIN
Prestige 3
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
I can say as a Dev myself it's a lot of work, and sometimes it becomes too much. That and there are a lot of rude as fuck people out there that get their rocks off by trashing other people's games. This shit is not easy a lot of us do this Dev thing as a hobby. Some make a game thinking they can make something better than some dev that brings in thousands of dollars a month only to realize it is hard to make any money off VN's. Others just seem to get bored or lose interest in their own project. Teams sometimes decide they have different ideas and just stop working together. Then you have the devs that have all these great ideas but can't seem to finish a single project. Some of these payment/donation sites are the problem too. This is digital art not reality.

As a fan of VN's and a Dev myself it is always sad to see an abandoned tag on any game. I want to see others succeed so there are more new games to try or new devs to chat with.

Reactions: 2 users

Tosser

Grinding Up
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Feb 2, 2023
Threads
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Burn out. Bitch patrons and even bitchier pirates. Legal threats. The real job and real family take precedent over the side hustle. Health. Death. All kinds of things.

jedichip

Registered
Lewd
Jun 22, 2023
Threads
LC COIN
from what I heard it's because they have full time jobs .. even 1 render takes a long time to make and match it up with the story.. hard to do when you work come home eat watch netflix sleep..

Terry

Registered
Lewd
May 12, 2023
Threads
LC COIN
The next issue they have is when the donation platforms decide they don't like something and pull your game. I don't think a place like Itch even allows you to take donations anymore. God only knows what Patreon will do from one week to the next.
Itch are a bunch of clowns.
I still remember when they banned a ton of avn devs and ignored any question about it.

NateDawg59

Registered
Lewd
Feb 28, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
Itch are a bunch of clowns.
I still remember when they banned a ton of avn devs and ignored any question about it.
Yep, they're only decent for the lesser known, one dev simple games. Think Harem Residence, stuff like that. It's also the Arlington Cemetery for games. Dead games page after page.

slexywexy

Registered
Lewd
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
LC COIN
people just lose motivation after finding out how long it takes to make a game/avn. then say they have health issues or something then vanish

Reactions: 1 users

NateDawg59

Registered
Lewd
Feb 28, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
people just lose motivation after finding out how long it takes to make a game/avn. then say they have health issues or something then vanish
For quite some time there have been an awful lot of car wrecks and moving to different countries.

Enot1964

Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Jan 5, 2024
Threads
LC COIN
1. A developer did not get the financial support (on the same Petreon) he had hoped for. The examples are legion.
2. The developer overestimated his strengths (especially his talent as a writer), writer's block is a common story. Such projects don't die immediately, the process can take years, but their end is the same.
3. Disagreements within the development team. Not often, but it happens.
4. A developer can simply die. This also happens.

Reactions: 1 users

WigglyWorld84

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Jun 15, 2022
Threads
LC COIN
Prestige 1
When a hobby/pasttime becomes actual work with deadlines and expectations, it stops being fun and becomes... actual work.

These are not professionals taking on a professional project.

You have people at the buffet with big eyes who fill up their plate and then regret it.

1eyed1

Prestige 1
Prestige 4
Registered
Lewd
May 27, 2023
Threads
LC COIN
Prestige 4
Prestige 1
You must be registered to see attachments

likeabike

Registered
Lewd
Jul 3, 2023
Threads
LC COIN
Bitch Breaker from Unknown Error. Such a random game about a kid being forced to work under a crazy boss. you can guess from the title what happens lol. Maybe not dead but hasn't been updated in over a year now. Dev just works in silence and randomly appears like a dad coming back for your birthday after leaving for a year to get milk
blacksparseekaltadeta-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom