Theme editor

Do you prefer games with a linear or nonlinear story?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ShyYuni
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 83
  • Views Views 1K

Do you prefer games with a linear or nonlinear story?


  • Total voters
    72
I prefer linear games because I'm afraid of missing something. that is why i usually read walkthroughs for non-linear games.
 
أفضل الألعاب الخطية هي تلك التي تركز على شخصية البطل—على الرغم من أن هذا يعتمد أيضًا على نوع اللعبة.
وعلى العكس من ذلك، أعتبر الألعاب التي تضم أكثر من ثماني شخصيات —حيث تضطر إلى التنقل بينها جميعًا— بمثابة شكل من أشكال التعذيب، خاصة عندما أكون مهتمًا بواحدة أو اثنتين منها فقط.
 
The best linear games are those where the focus is on the protagonist's personality—though this also depends on the game's genre.
Conversely, I consider games featuring more than eight characters—where you are forced to cycle through all of them—to be a form of torture, especially when I am only interested in just one or two of them.
 
I prefer non-linear, I want to feel like I have a bit of agency in the decisions that are happening in my game. The problem with that though is it seems like 60% of those non-linear games devolve into all choices lead back to the same ending the dev had in mind anyway. However ones that feel different enough and like true different playthroughs I'll run a few times to see how each "story" goes.
 
I know I'm weird, but whenever I see "choice-driven" in a game it's almost an instant skip for me. Too many choices in life already, I play games to get away from all that, not to replicate it :D There have been and will be exceptions, of course, it's just that I don't really see value in replayability when it comes to adult games, especially long ones. Again, weird.
 
It depends on the type of game. Some games definitely feel better in a linear story line as some can expand the experience with its non linearity.
 
If by nonlinear we mean multiple parallel stories going on at once, yeah, that's awesome.
 
Linear because I like seeing all the possible routes but it takes to much time on non linear.
 
A good linear story can be great. Hellblade 1 and 2 are incredibly stories with basically no deviation possible. But video games offer a pretty unique chance to "Shandify" a story, as explained in this old video about Fallout.

 
For me, I just need agency of some description, even if that agency is just the ability to fail. Non-linear games obviously achieve this since your decisions effect the ending, but linear games often achieve this with gameplay. You can obviously lose in a game and that could be what keeps me interested in figuring out to overcome a specific obstacle, but many NSFW games take a different approach where the overall story is relatively linear, but you chose what you want to experience along the way, how much, and in what order (See the game Kingdom Knight Dad or Incestual Awakening for good examples of this). Ultimately as long as feel I have some input I feel satisfied with a game, which is why Kinetic Novels never really interested me.
 
I've played linear games that were good as well as nonlinear games that were good. Unfortunately, the good ones of either type seem to fall it the minority to my tastes. I will say that in harem type games choices are important because some characters i don't want a deep relationship with and don't want to be forced into it to continue game advancement.
 
I'm fine with non-linear games, but I do really enjoy a good linear game where I can just go from A to B having fun along the way.
 
I prefer non-linear games, but I don't mind linear games that as long as it's not VN with 0 gameplay
 
I really love flash backs in games and also time loop games, like lust theory. I find it definitely keeps the story more interesting.
 
What i love about game is the ability to do thing your way. So if the story itself follow the logic, that even better.
 
It depends if the game is completed or not for me. If im waiting months for an update to 15 different stories, I know im not getting much, but if its something I can play over and over again, hell yeah!
 
I don't mind either one, it really just depends on the mechanics of the game and scenario. I've played some non-linear games where I think it would have been much better to have been linear and vice versa.
 
I Like a little bit of dirty talk and story enough to set up the characters. I do not need backstory for everyone, I do not care about anyones really. Just who they are, the scenario we are in, etc. I dont want sixteen lines of stuff like.... harem hotel? started off great. all of a sudden we are on a quest to save the world? Its harem HOTEL, not harem world.... sigh. The big step is doing good so far, not a lot of excessive story.
 
For normal games I like both,
But for Adult games I like nonlinear cause i'm just wondering "Hmm could I fuck her, or maybe her" and I like to find out the way to do so
 
Back
Top Bottom