Some games have a carefully curated soundtrack that really helps elevate the experience, but a good chunk of the time its the same handful of stock public domain songs you've heard in a thousand other games. In that case I just play whatever I'd normally be listening to instead anyway.
TBH I liked the ones they put in some 1980s Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 ones better than the lame shit usually used today. Why not use like Classic Rock or 80s metal?
I always turn off the original music from games. I choose something from my personal music library to accompany it. It can be classic rock (Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Van der Graaf Generator etc.), new-age (Andreas Vollenweider, Clannad, Enya etc.), academic classics (Debussy, Ravel, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, sometimes I play Bach's Passions). Currently playing this:
No music at all in gaming. Yes that means i turn off the ingame music as well.
VN's i do not consider games, they are Visual Novels to me. So the music in those is fine if it has any.