Nobody should make sandboxes....

• Heart
Reactions: 13 users

Cenwen

Registered
Lewd
Mar 4, 2023
LC COIN
Problem with sandboxes is that often times they get extremely annoying.
Resource grind is tedious and unfun.
Clicking through several menus just to go to sleep or work is wasting my time.
Time specific events are annoying to hunt down. I don't want to miss a scene because I didn't activate an event during tuesday night and have to now wait a week to have a shot at repeating it.
Stat increase grinds are annoying and time consuming as many games tend to have these arbitrary blocks to make you progress the game.
And so much more. Very few sandbox games out there actually make it fun.

Reactions: 6 users

Jan Meier

Registered
Lewd
Sep 16, 2022
LC COIN
the games are great. Don´t let people tell you different. There are always people who will not like something. thats ok. different tastes and everything. I appreciate you working on games I enjoy playing.

EraChanZ

True Connoisseur
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Oct 17, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
The 'games' of dumbkoala are just the animations with a bit of extra lore and the ability to pause, which is just the way I like them. Sandbox usually just means increasing the amount of effort to you have to put in to get to the parts you were there for in the first place. Prefer the way DK does things now.

Boog

Registered
Lewd
Jul 11, 2022
LC COIN
"Sandbox" games kill the flow of the story, fragment information and allow developers to make excuses for either a lack of an overall story, or a general lack of content by forcing you to repeat actions over and over to progress. Nothing is worse than having some stories (not all of them do this) that force you to repeat the same activity with a character 20 times just to get it to do what could have been done in 1/10 of the time frame with better story telling and a couple choices here and there. I refuse to play them, period. I don't care how good people say the stories are. I will not play them.

Imagine if you will.... An "open world/sandbox" game without any looting, achievements, clear goals and character development. What you have is what we are given today. You get a dumbed down two dimensional form of story making without any real substance. Traditional visual novels that are choice based work because they allow the devs to give you the freedom of choice in how your story progresses in ways that make the game re-playable. The dev can give you just one final outcome at the end or ten and the choices you make are what take you there. A "sandbox" game does almost none of that for the most part and your decisions mean very little. Why? Because despite what you think, all sandboxes have "borders" to keep the sand in, meaning what you get inside that sandbox is what you have. Choices mean very little and repitition gives you the illusion of choice and progression.

Think about it. Would you rather play the same story 5 times and get 5 different outcomes or play it once knowing that no matter what direction you take, the ending is the same and how you got there is the only difference. Yes there are those rare gems that are the total package but what are they? One in a thousand?

RexArmand

Prestige 1
Registered
Jun 1, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 1
No one should make sandbox games.
And Dumb Koala should stop making the girls piss them selves when they cum :p

Mirthras

Registered
Lewd
Nov 7, 2023
LC COIN
Contentious topic. This might be a hot-take, but I feel as if sandbox games has earned their ill-repute because the games which include it, always end up being development nightmares because of bloat and false promises. A sandbox game is figuratively a great concept because of it's open approach to pursue what you desire. But It's never been executed as such. The only game I saw which was close was Solvalley, but even that ended up feeling bloated out eventually making it tedious to progress, not to speak of it's time in development.

Tizuki

Registered
Lewd
May 26, 2023
LC COIN
I like DK and i like sandboxes, but i dont think the two would mix well. It takes a certain kind of developer to make a good sandbox, and while DK is amazing with VN i dont think it would translate well into a sandbox.

anything69

Registered
Lewd
Feb 23, 2023
LC COIN
they would have to do it right, i agree that a sandbox would be fun but i wouldn't want to resource grinding aspect of it

BeowulfKnight

Flat is Justice!
Staff member
Trial Moderator
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Jan 26, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Sandboxes ruin almost every single game they are in. The also usually introduce dumbass grind and repetition in lieu of having actual content. So now....no one should do sandbox.

Suntec

Registered
Lewd
Oct 3, 2023
LC COIN
i don't know man. sandbox can be pretty grindy. especially anoying when you need a quick fix :p

Airytemper

Registered
Lewd
Apr 9, 2023
LC COIN
For those who enjoy sandboxes: can you give examples of what you consider to be great sandbox games? For me, sandboxes usually fall into either "repeat the same event until something changes" grinds, or "find the 1 event which allows you to progress" (bonus points if the event only happens in a specific location at a specific time, with no hinting). Both kinda kill the pacing.

Coomer

Registered
Lewd
Mar 18, 2023
LC COIN
For those who enjoy sandboxes: can you give examples of what you consider to be great sandbox games? For me, sandboxes usually fall into either "repeat the same event until something changes" grinds, or "find the 1 event which allows you to progress" (bonus points if the event only happens in a specific location at a specific time, with no hinting). Both kinda kill the pacing.
I don't enjoy sandboxes but from the ones I tried I think Summertime Saga is a great sandbox game, does Summertime even fall under that category? I'm trying to imagine what the game would be like if it was a more linear VN but I'm not sure if it would be better or worse

Flaming1

Registered
Lewd
May 21, 2023
LC COIN
While I wouldn't mind a Dumb Koala style sandbox game, it's best to let the Devs make the games they want to make the way they want to make them.

Back
Top Bottom