Seeking recommendation for what to learn If I wanted to start making my own game (3d) given that I am a complete beginner.

iwillbeinghere4

Registered
Lewd
May 24, 2023
LC COIN
Just as the title suggests I want to start development on my own game but I don't know where to even begin. I have some programming experience (web development mostly).

bjazzy

Registered
Lewd
May 6, 2023
LC COIN
YouTube has a lot of good stuff. Look there. Programming language depends on what type of game you want to make .most people here use python

Reactions: 1 user

eezergoode

Registered
Aug 15, 2023
LC COIN
It depends on what type of game you are interested in making, and what art style you are looking to use. Are you making VN, and if so, what kind? An RPG? Free roam with active 3d models? Are you looking for more anime style? More photo-realistic? Or something in between? All of these would affect what videos and playlist we can recommend.

cantus

Registered
Jul 19, 2023
LC COIN
I can't speak for the original poster, but I would love some playlist recommendations!
I want to do photo-realistic 3dcg, preferably with animated idles and backgrounds if that's at all practical (I've only seen a few examples of this). VN with some free roam elements.
I've got plenty of writing and dev experience but new to CG art and animation.

I've seen some nice demos of generating animated backgrounds pretty quickly in Promethean AI, but I've never tried it myself and never built a 3d model or animated anything.

eezergoode

Registered
Aug 15, 2023
LC COIN
Check out , he has a lot of playlists for several platforms, including Daz Studio for rendering, Ren'Py, Unity, and a few others. They may not all be the most advanced stuff out there, but it's a good start. Granted, most of his stuff tends to be geared toward VNs and/or free-roam sandbox style games with strong VN storytelling elements, but it would still be a good plave to start. I can't recall if he has any guides or tutorials on animations, but it would actually surprise me if he didn't. Also, has a lot of video guides on rendering, in various software, including animations.

• Heart
Reactions: 1 users

That One Guy

Small Breast Enthusiast
Registered
Lewd
Mar 4, 2024
LC COIN
To decide what you need to learn you must first decide what you want your game to be like. The most popular atm is Ren'Py so learn that tool and some python unless you want to make a web based game so you can apply what you already know about web design. Then I would guess .html, CSS, and JavaScript. Other than that you will have to determine what you want your game to look like.

If you want a more anime look, then maybe try figuring out how to render with Koikatu or hand drawing. If you want something in between realism and anime maybe try HS2, if you want something that looks really good DAZ has been used by quite a few devs. I've also heard some devs use Poser-3D in conjunction with these other programs.

I hope this helped and good luck.

jonm9

Registered
Lewd
Feb 3, 2024
LC COIN
look at youtube and start learning Daz + Renpy, that's probably the easiest combination to start with

MilaLita

Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
It really depends what you're looking to make... My advice would be to make very, very, very small projects to begin with. Don't expect to be able to pick up an engine and create the next best thing. Game Dev is hard work. But, there's tutorials all over YouTube by respected Game Dev makers...
Also, ChatGPT is amazing when it comes to learning code - getting it to review your code is priceless and saves so much time.

eezergoode

Registered
Aug 15, 2023
LC COIN
My advice would be to make very, very, very small projects to begin with. Don't expect to be able to pick up an engine and create the next best thing. Game Dev is hard work.
This right here is one of the best things said in this thread. When you are first starting, keep it small, and keep it simple. I've made several games to date, and none of them were anything I would be willing to show anyone. But with each one, I learn a little more, I get a better handle on what I am capable of doing, and I get one step closer to making something I'd be willing to release.

• Heart

jhassan

Registered
Nov 14, 2023
LC COIN
This right here is one of the best things said in this thread. When you are first starting, keep it small, and keep it simple. I've made several games to date, and none of them were anything I would be willing to show anyone. But with each one, I learn a little more, I get a better handle on what I am capable of doing, and I get one step closer to making something I'd be willing to release.
Absolutely this, do not start by trying to make your dream game, instead make something that's short & simple, no more than 15 minutes long. This should give you some idea regarding the amount of work needed for more complicated games. Then you can start working on something slightly more complicated, consolidate your existing skills while acquiring new one, and iterate on ever more complicated games, until you feel confident that you can develop and release to a larger audience.

eezergoode

Registered
Aug 15, 2023
LC COIN
My very first attempt, I basically copied an old "Choose your own adventure" book from when I was a kid (Book 2: Journey Under the Sea) and added a bunch of stock photos from around the internet... It was crude as hell, but gave me a feel for Ren'Py, at least a feel for the basics.

MilaLita

Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
My very first attempt, I basically copied an old "Choose your own adventure" book from when I was a kid (Book 2: Journey Under the Sea) and added a bunch of stock photos from around the internet... It was crude as hell, but gave me a feel for Ren'Py, at least a feel for the basics.
I think a "Choose Your Own Adventure" is a really good starting point, that's how I learnt Twine. I would imagine Renpy also.
For Unity, I remade Flappy Bird.
Since then, I've started maybe 12 projects in Unity? I've finished... a lot, lot less... and I've shown people even fewer than that.
Learning. Improving. Advancing. Maybe one day it'll be half decent.

Chase22Roge

Registered
Lewd
Feb 17, 2024
LC COIN
Just as the title suggests I want to start development on my own game but I don't know where to even begin. I have some programming experience (web development mostly).
Well you need to learn specific language again like C# Python, then choose which engine you wanna working on, then which IDE you can manage and adjust, learn physics specific engine, animation, sound, movement, and a lot of base development of the game

Back
Top Bottom