Theme editor

How long does it take you to get through games?

panicdragon

Lewd
Registered
Joined
Mar 1, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
20
Vouches
0
Likes
8
LewdCoins
⚡325
Donation coins
0
Platinum
0
adcoin
0
1/3
‎3 Years of Service‎
Thread owner
Obviously a question that's hard to quantify, but I often see people say "Oh this game is great, but too short" - I'll download it, but it takes me ages. If the script is good, I generally try and read everything. If I find I'm skipping through dialogue, it's probably not the game for me, unless the visuals are top notch. Honestly though - quality in script usually goes hand in hand with visuals from everything I've seen.

Thoughts?
 
I play A LOT of RPGs and heavy-content games, so usually around 100 hours.
 
When people are saying that a game is "too short", I imagine they mean that the the story/gameplay remained fun enough that they could've kept playing beyond the ending if the content was there to allow it - so even if a game took them 100 hours to complete, they could happily have continued for another 30.

For myself, it really depends.
If I'm enjoying the game, I'm probably a bit slower than average because I like to be thorough and explore everything there is without guides or walkthroughs.
But I have also speedrun through games that I enjoyed the scenes of but got bored of the gameplay loop due to there being too much grind or the loop itself not being interesting enough to justify the game's length.
 
When people are saying that a game is "too short", I imagine they mean that the the story/gameplay remained fun enough that they could've kept playing beyond the ending if the content was there to allow it - so even if a game took them 100 hours to complete, they could happily have continued for another 30.

For myself, it really depends.
If I'm enjoying the game, I'm probably a bit slower than average because I like to be thorough and explore everything there is without guides or walkthroughs.
But I have also speedrun through games that I enjoyed the scenes of but got bored of the gameplay loop due to there being too much grind or the loop itself not being interesting enough to justify the game's length.

Modern Resident Evil games hardly take more than 10 hours if you know what to do, but the replay factor is outstanding.
 
Modern Resident Evil games hardly take more than 10 hours if you know what to do, but the replay factor is outstanding.
Oh I agree 100% - I really enjoy what they've captured where a first playthrough can take between 10-20 hours, but a replay might only take 5, because it makes it all the more tempting to do so.
RE1 and RE2 both did it so well by having multiple characters with unique content for each, and timed events that make you want to aim for a perfect run on replays.
 
Depending on what games they are, there are a few games that are regarded as high tier, those take me about a few (sometimes up to 6) months to get through. Then there are VNs that will take me roughly a month (maybe two) to get through. All of these take me that long because of my busy lifestyle so longer games like rpgs I'll play 1 to 2 hours at a time, and VNs are finished quicker because I do enjoy reading, so any opportunity I have I'll take.
 
Depends on the game. If we talk specifically about games (without considering VN), then a normal game will consume 100+ hours of pure time, this is the minimum. The grind consumes a lot of time here. Besides, I like to read, big texts don't scare me, so I enjoy playing text-based games, but reading certainly takes extra time. VN - it's different theme, but if you don't strive to go through all the storylines, then you can do it in a few evenings (let's take 5-6 days as a guideline). Although there are tiny VN for half an hour or an hour. But I really don't like such VN. But I'm talking about completed projects.
 
With how many large and/or endless games out there, I may take a while to complete anything these days.
 
Preferences > Skip unread

I know myself, as soon as I turn that on, im pretty much done with the game. Just jumping from scene to scene.
 
If it's a NSFW game still depends on the game but I usually just skip to the scenes unless I really like the story but for sfw games I take it slowly and if it's really good I might even do all the side quest but if not straight to main story and finish fairly quickly
 
I try to find the longer games, those take at least three hours to complete.
 
The longer the game, the better for me, unless it's filled with mindless grinding. Generally, I like progression systems-developing characters, towns, and things like that.
 
I tend to be a bit of a slow reader while playing games, who also likes to see all a game has to offer. So if its heavily dialogue based, it'll take me longer than average.
 
It's tough to count because most games release incrementally, so like do you count the time you take replaying it five times because the latest update broke saves, or going back a version because it's been fifty years since the last release and you've forgotten the plot? Some games I have to tape down the ctrl key to get to stuff I haven't seen before / care about.
 
Like others have said, it depends on the game. Typically I find if you get 1 hour of entertainment for $1 it's worth the investment, so any game that keeps me interested for more than 40 hours is money well spent. That said I've played some games for well over 1000 hours.
 
The amount of time really depends on the amount of content the game has, but once a game captures my attention enough for some reason I will tend to play it through the end unless I run into game-breaking bugs or tedious mechanics that the rest of the content doesn't justify continuing to bother with.

Sometimes devs seem to miss the mark when balancing challenge/tedium with the reward for getting through it.
 
Depends on the game honestly, most of the games i play i do try to 100% but sometimes i get bored from repeating the same thing a lot of times, but for the most part i return and play them at a later time.
 
Back
Top Bottom