Why no one picks up abandoned AVNs?

Gumshoe

Registered
Lewd
Mar 11, 2024
LC COIN
Is it not possible or allowed for other devs to pick up established abandoned AVNs?
Like take AoA Academy for example. The game already have an established fanbase, other devs or someone who can render and write a good story could just pick it up to continue it, or will it be considered plagiarism?
I mean they were abandoned so they should be free for others to pick up.

Also if abandoned games did get picked up by other devs will you support it?

jeanbaklazan

Registered
Lewd
Sep 25, 2022
LC COIN
Well you need the assets for it. Sure you can try to guess and recreate them, but when you have that skill level why not starting something new? People would always compare you to the original, that may get annoying...

Reactions: 1 user

Uncle Loco

Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Lewd
May 19, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
The problem with that is having or finding all the right assets and to be able to recreate the characters, locations, props, writing styles, etc... There is a ton of work just to get it close let alone right. Now if the previous dev handed over all the assets, characters, locations, etc... Then maybe I could see it happening.

MaWe

Registered
Lewd
Jun 3, 2024
LC COIN
recreating 3d models that come close to the original is super hard. Writing story is easy (at least for some people), implementing it into a game is also easy (for some people), but matching 3d models or a 2d character style is very hard even if you are good.

NateDawg59

Registered
Lewd
Feb 28, 2024
LC COIN
Most of the important issues have already been addressed. However, yeah, you could be hit with a lawsuit if you try to pick up a project without contact with the original dev. And that's yet another issue, when many devs abandon a game, they too vanish into thin air. Somehow or another there's a bunch of LiL copies out there with different student and MC names, but most projects would cause trouble for you if you tried to copy/redo them.

TemperTempah34260923

Registered
Lewd
Sep 7, 2023
LC COIN
it's kinda like raising someone else's kids - you're putting time and money into something you didn't create and don't necessarily have the rights to full custody.

klmb1990

Registered
Lewd
Feb 2, 2023
LC COIN
It does happen occasionally. There is that Big Brother remake and the modders that have been continuing on with Lab Rats 2. I think it's just that if you're gonna put in the amount of effort it takes to make a game, most people would rather create their own content.

SeveredRealms

Nobody Knows
Staff member
Administrator
Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Prestige 4
Lewd
Apr 23, 2022
Website
subscribestar.adult
LC COIN
Prestige 4
Prestige 3
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
I have been looking for a writer and daz creator for my own games since my health took a giant shit on me. I have all the assets for my main story including the duf files but my second story's files are gone due to a hard drive failure so like anyone else wanting to take over a story.. All the assets need to be created from scratch and they will never look the same. Meaning the stories renders would pretty much all have to start from the first scene and all be done over.
I have also been trying to get a team together for another game. I have the writer for that one on board but nothing else. All the assets for that one have to be started from scratch as we have none since the author died and no one can get a copy of them.
So it is not "impossible" to restart a story but it can be damn near unless you have the files.

sglade

Registered
Lewd
Jun 2, 2024
LC COIN
It's doable sure but for example Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune books and died, then his son kept it going and wrote like 20 more books, yet every fan agree Dune only has 6 books

Chainedpanda

Registered
Lewd
Aug 8, 2022
LC COIN
Significant legal liability. The original creator owns copywrite over it. Even if they abandoned the project, they can sue you. Assets are another major factor as well.

Furthermore, why bother? If you're willing to spend the time working on the project, spend the money to acquire the licenses and assets, why not just create your own?

barbarella2021

Registered
Lewd
Jun 20, 2023
LC COIN
It's doable sure but for example Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune books and died, then his son kept it going and wrote like 20 more books, yet every fan agree Dune only has 6 books
I think you hit an important nail on the head. The really memorable AVNs -the ones that people want continued after abandonment- have some sort of compelling story or character or element that's really hard for a successor to recapture, even if the assets were all available. Imagine someone trying to copy Akabur's patented humorous dialogue. A few have tried but it's not quite there...

Reactions: 1 user

stangnomez

Registered
Lewd
Feb 14, 2023
LC COIN
Even if you could write with a similar style and quality, and even if you were skilled enough to recreate the models etc., you starting a new VN would still be a much better use of your time from the perspective of getting good story out there.

Chthonian

Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
I am always amazed that people think taking over a game is easy and somehow a good idea.
Like how dumb are you that you think some random person is able to recreate or improve on what the original creator was doing.
If you are that fucking talented they would just make their own fucking game.

De2afasdfs@$

Registered
Lewd
Feb 2, 2023
LC COIN
It's a lot of work to make a game from scratch. It's arguably harder to continue some else, because you have to also spend time mimicking their work too.

iluvpxrn

Registered
Lewd
Dec 5, 2023
LC COIN
Wondering why dont people take over abandones games? is it problems to do with source code or what? I've always wondered that but never had an answer. Would really like to old games come back like Monster Girl Island or abandoned ren'py games finished up

Back
Top Bottom