What do you understand by the term "woke"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourpuss

Registered
Lewd
Jan 2, 2023
LC COIN
I see people using this word to describe things that don't really look anything like what I'd always taken it to describe.

It even seems to me that things that have, basically, been around forever get tagged as 'woke'. Like, female 'badass' characters - is Ellen Ripley woke? Is Alien woke because she's in it?* I remember a scene from a John Wayne Western - Bing co-pilot tells me it's El Dorado (1966), but I haven't been able to find the clip. In it, Wayne and his compadre, who's black, enter a bar and are told the black guy can't sit at the bar. Wayne responds "Aw, the hell he can't!" and sort of badasses them into not objecting. Wouldn't that be deplored as "woke" today? Even though set in a time when such segregation was common practice?

* It is deep-lore canon that one of the female characters in Aliens is trans, so maybe that's woke? I don't know!

pumpernickel

Registered
Lewd
Dec 13, 2022
LC COIN
Its just something you say when you don't like something and that thing is "not reactionary." Someone who isn't a white dude accomplishes something? woke! White dude does something aweseom? Not woke. Had no fixed meaning of its own.

Reactions: 2 users

Arachel

One day somebody here will get my gender correct
Registered
Lewd
Apr 13, 2024
LC COIN
Woke has different meaning depending on who is using it.
The lefties think they're "aware of social injustices" id est they "woke up to the issues" around them. Whereas sane individuals use it to mock them because they're in-fact out of touch with reality. "Woke" policies would be anything that tries to push equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity which simply doesn't work in a meritocracy. If policies like DEI work then they should work in all cases, but the easiest one to show there isn't a leg to stand on would be the NBA. NBA you have to be an athlete and height helps so naturally you have pituitary cases abound, but you don't see teams hiring the 5'0 flat Asian guy just for diversity, but they insist that you do similar practices in other fields rather than basing it on merit. Equality of opportunity is vastly different than simply having hiring quotas because somebody checks a box for skin color, sex, ideology, or anything else in the Victim Olympics.

Reactions: 4 users

MattShizzle

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Apr 25, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 1
Not being a bigoted asshole. Term used by Nazis to mean anyone not a Nazi.

Reactions: 4 users

Naps-On-Dirt

Registered
Lewd
Feb 18, 2024
LC COIN
The word "woke" was probably chosen because thats how people describe what it was like to realize that (for example) just because they don't hate other races, they were still programmed by society at large and especially at the local level in racist behaviors and thoughts. Replace 'racist' with 'sexist' or any _phobic you like. So those of us who "woke" to see the racist/sexist/etc thoughts and behaviors we were still programmed with, have to work to overcome them in ourselves and help other see it to, to make the world a better place for everyone, not just people just like us.

But it has become the catch-all phrase for the close-minded to describe anything they don't like or understand. "There are only boys and girls! I don't believe in anything else! I am not smart enough to understand genetics and mutations and body dysmorphia and science is evil anyway!"

yibifi2784

Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
The word "woke" was probably chosen because thats how people describe what it was like to realize that (for example) just because they don't hate other races, they were still programmed by society at large and especially at the local level in racist behaviors and thoughts. Replace 'racist' with 'sexist' or any _phobic you like. So those of us who "woke" to see the racist/sexist/etc thoughts and behaviors we were still programmed with, have to work to overcome them in ourselves and help other see it to, to make the world a better place for everyone, not just people just like us.

But it has become the catch-all phrase for the close-minded to describe anything they don't like or understand. "There are only boys and girls! I don't believe in anything else! I am not smart enough to understand genetics and mutations and body dysmorphia and science is evil anyway!"
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Republican Bear

Your Loli's Are Mine
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
Nov 25, 2022
LC COIN
Woke nowadays is forcing change on the majority that's makes no sense at all. Sure I'll all for equality but it needs to be correctly. You can't eat your cake and trample over someone else's rights. On the other-hand switching race, sex and so on in a setting that makes no sense isn't helping the cause either. So in effect the word is meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Arachel

Registered
Lewd
Apr 13, 2024
LC COIN
Woke nowadays is forcing change on the majority that's makes no sense at all. Sure I'll all for quality but it need to be correctly. You can't eat you cake and trample over someone else's rights. On the other-hand switching race, sex and so on in a setting that makes no sense isn't helping the cause either. So in effect the word is meaningless.
The thing is the wokes have all the rights as the rest of us at least anywhere where they're active. They're not going to Palestine for example since the people that are protesting for them probably wouldn't be well received there so they stay in places where they have the freedom to protest like the US. There are no rights they lack in America, but they expect special privileges and accommodations when they don't have the same considerations. Drag Queen nuns are an open mockery to Catholics, but they were celebrated in California, meanwhile it's a hate crime to reject pride or not adhere to somebody's gender ideology.

• Face Palm

WhiteFireDaemon

Registered
Lewd
Sep 15, 2023
LC COIN
The lefties think they're "aware of social injustices" id est they "woke up to the issues" around them. Whereas sane individuals use it to mock them because they're in-fact out of touch with reality. "Woke" policies would be anything that tries to push equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity which simply doesn't work in a meritocracy. If policies like DEI work then they should work in all cases, but the easiest one to show there isn't a leg to stand on would be the NBA. NBA you have to be an athlete and height helps so naturally you have pituitary cases abound, but you don't see teams hiring the 5'0 flat Asian guy just for diversity, but they insist that you do similar practices in other fields rather than basing it on merit. Equality of opportunity is vastly different than simply having hiring quotas because somebody checks a box for skin color, sex, ideology, or anything else in the Victim Olympics.
This is very much the case. The political left vs right have defined the term differently. As for examples, I'd have to say that Ripley is definitely not a woke character. She was just written as a strong character who happened to be female. Sarah Connor is another strong character who just happened to be female, but people try to claim she's woke even though she's not. Ariel from the live action little mermaid however is a perfect example of woke agenda being shoved into movies.

WhiteFireDaemon

Registered
Lewd
Sep 15, 2023
LC COIN
... See what I mean?
Between the progressive left and the conservative right, it's routinely the left that is intolerant of people disagreeing with them or criticizing them. Even you jump to the "they're too dumb to see that I'm right" argument about people who disagree with gender theory or other progressive ideas rather than consider that perhaps the people who disagree with you might have a valid concern about it.

SweetGrapes

Registered
Lewd
Jan 5, 2023
LC COIN
To me it's a different word for identity politics. It's a social hierachy where the more minority traits you can tick off, the higher in the hierachy you are. And it's absolutely not allowed to criticize anyone higher up in the hierachy than yourself - no matter their opinions. So a race to the bottom (or top in this case, I guess).

Arachel

Registered
Lewd
Apr 13, 2024
LC COIN
... See what I mean?
It's nothing to do with the close minded and has to deal with reality. The left would have you believe that gender is a spectrum, but there are 2 sexes period that's just biology and the left is the side that touted "follow the science" well biology is a science. Denying reality doesn't make the left more "open-minded" it makes them delusional. If I sit around and say I'm eating a banana, but I'm the only one who can see the banana and to EVERYBODY else it looks like I'm just miming eating a banana, but then I turn around and claim everybody else is just close-minded for not affirming my beliefs it doesn't make me "open-minded" it makes me fucking nuts because I'm eating a banana that doesn't exist in reality.

Reactions: 3 users

Lucumo

Registered
Lewd
May 12, 2023
LC COIN
Aww, come on. It's clearly working out for Boeing.

• Haha

Gari Fuze

Banned
Registered
Dec 11, 2023
LC COIN
I give real life example, I talked with a girl and she said me that Joe Rogan and Trump are evil, and Joe Rogan should be banned and not allowed to talk.
I told her, that I do not support this, I am not a Joe Rogan fan, I don't watch him, but he should be able to talk whatever he wants.
After which she told me that I am not liberal enough and we never talked again.

It is the kind of people fighting for freedom "in public", but end up behaving like neo fascist and everyone who has different views from them must be gagged by force.

Reactions: 1 users

Arachel

Registered
Lewd
Apr 13, 2024
LC COIN
Aww, come on. It's clearly working out for Boeing.
Ah so you've seen their planes falling apart after posting on social media about their "diversity" and pushing out disproportional numbers of minority when there's plenty of old white guys who should be qualified? Did you see the tolerant left having a meltdown when Miss Zimbabwe was white? That's diversity the white population in Zimbabwe is less than 1 percent, the wokes should have been celebrating that instead of crying about it.

Gari Fuze

Banned
Registered
Dec 11, 2023
LC COIN
the biggest damage from wokeness comes from soulless and bland movies, books, art works, a huge heap of censorship that killed many games and franchises

Arachel

Registered
Lewd
Apr 13, 2024
LC COIN
the biggest damage from wokeness comes from soulless and bland movies, books, art works, a huge heap of censorship that killed many games and franchises
It's not censorship killing games it's the woke narrative consulting firms that offer nothing, but threaten to cancel the company if they don't pay them to ruin their game actually.

Lucumo

Registered
Lewd
May 12, 2023
LC COIN
Ah so you've seen their planes falling apart after posting on social media about their "diversity" and pushing out disproportional numbers of minority when there's plenty of old white guys who should be qualified? Did you see the tolerant left having a meltdown when Miss Zimbabwe was white? That's diversity the white population in Zimbabwe is less than 1 percent, the wokes should have been celebrating that instead of crying about it.
Saw all the news and information about it in a forum I frequent. And that's just one example where the results are plainly visible. In other sectors, it is not.
Nope, didn't see that. I would say "double standards" but it's very obvious that it's against certain groups of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom