What do you think of asset duplication? ✔️

sadgeeter

Registered
Dec 15, 2023
LC COIN
Many games use the same assets, clothes models locations. some devs try to make it unique but others don't bother. Take the clothes shop for example:

You must be registered to see attachments

Almost every game has it, I personally find it funny and I like it (it's like a trope at this point). What about you? Does it break immersion?

Reactions: 1 user

ZerueL

Registered
Lewd
Nov 17, 2022
LC COIN
It's funny when you notice it. But it gets boring after seeing the same assets over and over again, although I don't mind it that much.

Main reason why I prefer games w/ Drawn Art. At least you'll know it's gonna be unique. The only problem with drawn art, is it's RARE to find games w/ high quality/good art. Specially when it comes to animations.
And of course the main problem, drawn art will always take significantly more time to create compared to 3d renders so there will always be more waiting time.

sadgeeter

Registered
Dec 15, 2023
LC COIN
It's funny when you notice it. But it gets boring after seeing the same assets over and over again, although I don't mind it that much.

Main reason why I prefer games w/ Drawn Art. At least you'll know it's gonna be unique. The only problem with drawn art, is it's RARE to find games w/ high quality/good art. Specially when it comes to animations.
And of course the main problem, drawn art will always take significantly more time to create compared to 3d renders so there will always be more waiting time.
Agreed, very few games have actually good 2d art and even fewer with custom 3d art (only Light Of My Life comes to mind)

ZerueL

Registered
Lewd
Nov 17, 2022
LC COIN
even fewer with custom 3d art (only Light Of My Life comes to mind)
Ahh. Then I would like to recommend the 2 games by 395Games, Mist(Completed) & Covenant of Morn(On-going)
They're both custom made in Blender so you'll know they're unique to just that game. They aren't pure VNs tho, so if you hate Sandbox games then you might not like it, but the sandbox aspect isn't one of the terrible ones though so there's that.
Would really recommend it for the art alone. Probably story too I guess.

jonm9

Registered
Lewd
Feb 3, 2024
LC COIN
I don't mind it if the story is actually original / interesting

It sucks if it's just a lazy fuck fest with reused assets though

Uncle Loco

Game Developer
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Lewd
May 19, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
As a dev I will say it is hard to find something different and unique all the time. There are a limited number of assets out there to use/buy. I try to find and use ones I haven't seen before or customize them a bit to work for my game theme better. Some assets you can modify slightly to give it a different look or feel, but some you are limited in on the customization options.

Overall it doesn't bother me to see similar locations, but it would be nice to see more options.

• Heart
  • purple_heart
Reactions: 1 users

Monokuma

Causing Chaos and Despair
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 4
Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 4
Prestige 2
Prestige 1

This is basically my opinion as well... When I first started getting into these games, I really didn't mind, but the more I play... The more I notice the same assets, and it just hurts my immersion. Not to mention when games are trying to say they're in a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Post-Apoc/etc and use assets like... Offices, Lounges, etc... I have since moved to absolutely loving hand-drawn, to the point that DAZ actually puts me off... but Hand-drawn is, understandably, very taxing on Game Devs and a whole other task in the development cycle entirely.

mixihi3488

Registered
Apr 17, 2024
LC COIN
as others pointed out, I only mind when the models are very much alike especially the romancable characters.

Back
Top Bottom