What are you reading? (Book edition)

aileg

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 15, 2022
LC COIN
I've been trying to get back into reading real books again lately. Let's share what we've all been reading outside the AVN space.

I finished the most recent book in the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown not long ago (Amazing in my opinion by the way; I definitely recommend for modern Sci-Fi fans). I just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. So far I'm liking it, but I'm not far in yet. Obviously, I'm a Scifi and Fantasy person, but I look forward to some good recommendations from any genre here.

Reactions: 2 users

Malzerz

Registered
LV

Aug 16, 2022
LC COIN
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Audio books, currently going through the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. They're trashy and I love them. Assuming you've read the Stormlight books, Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Reactions: 1 user

goons

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 3, 2022
LC COIN
I usually read web series, mostly on Royal Road.
Though the format suffers like the games here, often never-ending or abandonment.

AbruptForfeit

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 15, 2022
LC COIN
Been really enjoying to sleep in a sea of stars, by the same guy who wrote the eragon books years ago, which I loved. Been really enjoying getting back into his stuff again.

Evil Surgeon

Friendly Neighborhood Psychopath
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Prestige 4
Registered
Lewd
LV

May 2, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 4 (WIP)
Prestige 3 (Work in progress)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
Recently sat back down and am rereading a favorite of mine. Right now, it's: The Complete Book of Swords, by Fred Saberhagen. I love the entire series.

Reactions: 1 users

aileg

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 15, 2022
LC COIN
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Audio books, currently going through the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. They're trashy and I love them. Assuming you've read the Stormlight books, Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
I haven't actually. Mistborn is my first time trying out Sanderson. I like hard magic systems and just know he's known for them. I've seen Children of Time and will have to check it out.

aileg

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 15, 2022
LC COIN
Been really enjoying to sleep in a sea of stars, by the same guy who wrote the eragon books years ago, which I loved. Been really enjoying getting back into his stuff again.
I finished that one a few months back. I really liked it. You can tell he matured in his writing a lot since Eragon (which I also loved, but he really needed to lay off the thesaurus). No spoilers of course, but the book becomes a crazy trip and is worth the length.

pdaddy01

Registered
Lewd
LV

Mar 5, 2023
LC COIN
I've been trying to get back into reading real books again lately. Let's share what we've all been reading outside the AVN space.

I finished the most recent book in the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown not long ago (Amazing in my opinion by the way; I definitely recommend for modern Sci-Fi fans). I just started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. So far I'm liking it, but I'm not far in yet. Obviously, I'm a Scifi and Fantasy person, but I look forward to some good recommendations from any genre here.
Mistborn is good! I've just picked up Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb as I'm looking for a new fantasy series to get into. If anyone can recommend books like Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss I'd appreciate it

JadedSkywalker

Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jun 7, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 2
Prestige 1

Wish i had the time. I want to finish Wheel of Time, the ones Brandon wrote. I don't really read long novels at that often these days. What i do read are film making of books. Artbooks. Graphic Novels. But even that is very seldom.

Thizen

Registered
Lewd
LV

Sep 29, 2023
LC COIN

I just bought red rising planing on starting it this weekend.
And have red through all of mistborn amazing book series.

gbtdrsgerasge

Registered
Lewd
LV

Oct 22, 2023
LC COIN
I am also currently reading the mistborn books, however, I currently am stuck on the beginning of the third book. Not sure if I lost interest after the end of the second book and if it will manage to capture me again.
I also enjoyed the following books a lot:
  • The Bobiverse books (by Dennis E. Taylor, Sci-Fi) - Fun books, basically a human brain gets converted into an AI which gets placed on a spaceship (Neumann probe) with the task to find habitable planets for the remaining humans on earth.
  • The Demon Cycle (by Peter V. Brett, Fantasy) - Demons are coming out of the ground each day and kill humans. The only way to fend them off are old runes that can keep them away. I do not know how much I can say without spoilering so I will quote the blurb: "Together, [Arlen, Leesha and Rojer] will offer humanity a last, fleeting chance of survival."
  • Bartimaeus Sequence (by Jonathan Stroud, Fantasy) - You can basically summon demons to work for you and with Bartimaeus you get a funny one. Overall a nice story although I would say it is more of book for teenagers imo.
  • Divine Dungeon (by Dakota Krout, Fantasy) - You are a sentient dungeon and there are adventurers coming that want to loot you. Obviously you need to defend yourself so you develop defenses etc to keep people out or if they dare to enter to kill them so you gather more power.
  • Murderbot Diaries (by Martha Wells, Sci-Fi) - You are a security robot that 'jailbroke' itself and has a deeper interest in TV shows than your actual job.
  • Darren Shan Saga + Larten Crepsley Saga (by Darren O'Shaughnessy, Fantasy)
  • Kyralia series (by Trudi Canavan, Fantasy) - Sonea is discovering her magic talents which gets her in trouble pretty fast.
  • Nevernight (by Jay Kristoff, Fantasy) - A story about mostly revenge. Mia has some powers and wants to become an assassin to carry out her revenge.
  • Scythe (by Neal Shusterman, Sci-Fi) - Basically humans have defeated death but to counter overpopulation people still need to die.

A surprisingly good "book" I read recently was actually a fan fiction called "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality". It is Harry Potter, but Harry thinks like a rational human being. It is quite fun but has like 1800 pages if you actually get the epub (community effort) and don't just read the 'blog posts'.

TokyoRu2024

those who kill should be prepared to be killed ♪
Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
LV

Nov 7, 2023
Website
game.granbluefantasy.jp
LC COIN
Prestige 1
had like 50 hp fanfics on AO3 opened and even touched, other than some Chinese books. about apoca and stuf

Reactions: 1 users

Corellius

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
LV

Mar 18, 2024
LC COIN
Prestige 1
Poul Anderson's "The High Crusade" was the last thing i read. its a wild ride

Republican Bear

Your Loli's Are Mine