Running games on linux.

KTrash

LurkerCoin Treasury Department
Registered
Lewd
Dec 5, 2023
LC COIN
Recently ran in to some games that did not want to run properly trough wine and i noticed that you can add non steam games to steam to use proton.
So posting here in case anyone bumps in to one of the games that just refuse running through wine, go to Steam and press Games/"Add a non Steam game to my library" and navigate to the exe.
After adding right click the game Properties/Compatibility and tick "Force the use of a specific steam play compatibility tool"
I'll also note that i installed GE-Proton using ProtonUp-Qt to get some smoother gameplay.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

KTrash

LurkerCoin Treasury Department
Registered
Lewd
Dec 5, 2023
LC COIN
You can also use lutris, not needing to use use steam
I have failed using lutris time and time again, if wine does not run the game i want, then lutris usually fails as well... the best failsafe way i have come up with is to use steam as game loader :p

bspn

Registered
Lewd
Feb 1, 2024
LC COIN
Most RenPy games also come packaged with a .sh file that'll run natively on most Linux distros so you don't have to use a compatibility layer.

Reactions: 1 user

dez666

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Dec 16, 2022
LC COIN
i run games almost exclusively on linux (nearly 1000 so far). for renpy, this is easy, as most games will already include linux binaries or are trivially runnable under vanilla wine. most windows unity games work ok as well. some engines like RPG Maker MV are not very good.. but sometimes work.

the thing i ran into the most problems with was japanese VNs, so i will provide some tips.

for extracting archives that aren't utf-8 (say, shift-jis for older archives), you can tell unzip to translate:

before:
Code:
$ unzip -t RJ01088802.zip | sed 2q
Archive:  RJ01088802.zip
    testing: û│ìCé╚Å¡Åùé╠ë─ïxé▌ver1.06/audio/   OK
with translation from shift-jis:
Code:
$ unzip -O shift-jis -t RJ01088802.zip | sed 2q
Archive:  RJ01088802.zip
    testing: 無垢な少女の夏休みver1.06/audio/   OK

for running japanese VNs, you usually want to run in a japanese locale. on windows this is done with either a system level setting or with the well known locale emulator.

in linux and wine, you can just change the locale with an environment variable :)
to do this you need to make sure you have japanese locales generated on your system.. see or refer to your distro's documentation.
for EUC-JP or SHIFT-JIS, it's a little more uncommon but possible with more work. see

you will also likely want to install the right font support for a japanese locale as well. additionally, i usually make a separate wine prefix (by hand, without steam or lutris):

Code:
$ mkdir game; cd game
$ export WINEPREFIX="$(pwd)/game"
$ export WINEARCH=win32 # change if 64-bit game
$ wineboot
$ winetricks fakejapanese
$ winetricks fakejapanese_vlgothic
$ env LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine /path/to/game_or_installer.exe

if needed you could also setup DXVK for better graphics performance (lutris can do this), but for most games the performance of the graphics is acceptable.

if you combine this with (which you must run in the same WINEPREFIX) you can get a decent setup for playing even untranslated windows-only japanese VNs only on linux.

Reactions: 3 users

NuclearSpeck

Registered
Lewd
Jul 16, 2023
LC COIN
[…] some engines like RPG Maker MV are not very good.. but sometimes work.[…]
For RPGM MV/MZ games, I just replace the binaries shipped with the game and instead, which works most of the time. If the game assets are included/obfuscated in the .exe files, you might have to use something like first to extract them.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 12, 2023
LC COIN
For what its worth for anyone that's looking into getting games from this forum working on linux, in my experience 8/10 games work out of the box with wine or native linux support, 1/10 need some fiddling (like the NW.js for rpgmaker like mentioned above), and about 1/10 that just flat out don't work (and I have not put the time to get working).

Would recommend people give it a shot!

KVTOIIUHHU

Registered
Lewd
Feb 10, 2024
LC COIN
Most RenPy games also come packaged with a .sh file that'll run natively on most Linux distros so you don't have to use a compatibility layer.
In some case you need to manually make them executable though, either through the file permissions in the UI, or through the CLI.

Back
Top Bottom