Looking for a guide to start making translations for games

rcrave

Registered
LV

May 6, 2023
LC COIN
Im looking to make some translations for myself and if completed publish them if it ever comes to that.
The problem is; where to start? is there a guide somewhere on making translations for RenPy games?

rcrave

Registered
LV

May 6, 2023
LC COIN
First you need to create translation files in renpy, its pretty easy to do it, then you need to use deepl(best ai translation site) to translate your game, the rest is a copy paste job
ah so if there arent any translations setup on a game you would have to decompile and add them yourself or something? or is translation setup by default on any renpy game?

edit: according to the renpy docs you can indeed add translations, just curious on how this would work on existing games with nothing setup. This would require decompiling + some work on my own part to setup the translations i guess?

rcrave

Registered
LV

May 6, 2023
LC COIN
I want to dabble in this a bit, and if i can successfully get translations to work in a smaller game (so it isnt as much work) idd consider making a guide on it so people can also make translations in their own language if they want.

xell__

Game Developer
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 29, 2024
LC COIN
You need to open renpy launcher first then click on create translations files then you need to manually edit all those translation files that automatically created by renpy, then you may need some more adjustments to show those translations option in the settings.

Valaryn

Registered
LV

Dec 23, 2022
LC COIN
If you want a quick way to play a game in any language you can use an OCR toolkit, they are usually made for Japanese vn but most of them supports other languages using deepl or other translation websites. It's mtl but it usually works well enough. I won't post links as I don't know if it is allowed but you will find a lot of guides if you look for "vn OCR toolkit"

Reactions: 1 user
Back
Top Bottom