Lighting vs realism in games

walld

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 1, 2023
LC COIN
Some games try to overdo the realism and the scenes are really dark.

I found several of the scenes in "The Island [MichaelFenix]" to be so dark I had to skip most of it.

I get the idea of realism, but really? There are obviously levels of lighting that set scenes and timing, but I also think that it is pretty easy to discern the time of day, and I think it is preferred to see the scenes rather than immerse for most of them.

Reactions: 2 users

okok42690

JRUploader
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 28, 2024
LC COIN
Lighting is a big part of realism and unfortunately people always get it wrong. making things darker/harder to see doesn't make it more "realistic" it only hides the imperfections and makes it more "moody" and sometimes Temo level cinematic. for actual realism, lighting just has to be accurate enough to make sense in our brain. for example if a scene is in a room, and theres a couch in the middle, the lighting can't all just be from above, there has to be some side lighting, whether its coming from windows or other light sources.

Reactions: 1 users

valenvaryon

Registered
Lewd
LV

Oct 3, 2023
LC COIN
Lighting is a big part of realism and unfortunately people always get it wrong. making things darker/harder to see doesn't make it more "realistic" it only hides the imperfections and makes it more "moody" and sometimes Temo level cinematic. for actual realism, lighting just has to be accurate enough to make sense in our brain. for example if a scene is in a room, and theres a couch in the middle, the lighting can't all just be from above, there has to be some side lighting, whether its coming from windows or other light sources.
Yeah this applies to like every ReShade preset i've downloaded for skyrim / fallout / cyberpunk. So many people seem to equate "realistic" lighting with "pitch fucking black". I wonder if it has something to do with like people who are more into image editing / production have a different brightness and color calibration on their monitors, so it looks entirely different to them.

Reactions: 1 user

Animal_OG

Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 16, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 3 (Work in progress)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1

I found several of the scenes in "The Island [MichaelFenix]" to be so dark I had to skip most of it.

I get the idea of realism, but really? There are obviously levels of lighting that set scenes and timing, but I also think that it is pretty easy to discern the time of day, and I think it is preferred to see the scenes rather than immerse for most of them.
I agree, I don't know that game, but I made the same "mistake" when I started learning Daz. A key concept in rendering is understanding Tone Mapping and how the renderer is trying to simulate the human eye when being exposed to light:
ISO controls how sensitive is a camera to light that reaches it.
Aperture controls how big is the hole the light is going through (imagine your pupils adjusting to light when going dark <-> bright)
Shutter Speed controls how long the sensor is exposed to light.

You must be registered to see attachments

I rendered this as an example of the "eye" trying to catch a ton of light; it's a dark scene, but looks tasty in my opinion.

At the end of the day it's just faster and easier to leave everything in default and click render. I can already imagine people going "if the dev didn't spend so much time fucking around with lighting we'd have more sex scenes" LOL

okok42690

JRUploader
Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 28, 2024
LC COIN
Yeah this applies to like every ReShade preset i've downloaded for skyrim / fallout / cyberpunk. So many people seem to equate "realistic" lighting with "pitch fucking black". I wonder if it has something to do with like people who are more into image editing / production have a different brightness and color calibration on their monitors, so it looks entirely different to them.
I still firmly believe they do that to hide imperfections, I remember the game of thrones prequel, house of dragon, its episodes were so freakin dark that people had to implode their tv brightness so they can watch it 😩

Eye

Registered
Lewd
LV

Sep 4, 2023
LC COIN
City of Broken Dreamers is a great example of good dark lighting.

Reactions: 1 user

borregad

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 26, 2023
LC COIN
at the same time, too bright makes everything look plasticky. i don't think good lighting's easy to master, and i really respect games that can do it well

encassion

non hero
Prestige 2
Registered
Lewd
LV

Oct 5, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 2
If there are more than a couple of sex scenes that are too dark to see details then I turn it quit playing. If non-sex scenes are overly dark I can tolerate it for the most part. If I can't see the relevant action then why bother? I shouldn't have to use my imagination to see people boinking in a game with pictures. Of course, the same applies to implied penetration. If you make a game with sex scenes then I should be able to see every naughty detail, not just "trust" the game that the dick is indeed inside her anus.

Kastel0

Registered
Lewd
LV

Aug 11, 2023
LC COIN
That also happened in movies and tv shows in the last 10-15 years.
Some consider that Nolan's Batman trilogy was the origin, being a "darker" Batman. The problem is Nolan's Trilogy is great because they are amazing movies, the "darkness" was only one element.
So some creators thought: "this is dark and cool, so I will make something even darker to be even cooler".

cough! Zack Snyder cough!

kenny86

Registered
Lewd
LV

Mar 16, 2024
LC COIN
The majority of people making WEG are solo devs with no experience or formal knowledge trying to hit big. Lighting is something that even big studios get wrong, so no wonder wegs suffer from it, especially since a good chunk of them are based on HS/KK which aren't particularly that well equipped.
The games that hit the worst for me in that regard were now and then/interim domain. 80% of all the scenes are in low light environment, it's annoying as fuck.

gertbert11

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 16, 2023
LC COIN
Whether it is harmful to your health is a matter of taste. Lighting and realism in games are important aspects that significantly influence the gaming experience. While realistic lighting promotes immersion, the pursuit of realism in graphics and physics can be challenging and resource intensive.

DragonsFear

if it seems easy you're doing it wrong
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Registered
Lewd
LV

Nov 29, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 3 (Work in progress)
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
if done correctly ity can be beautiful
the main problem is that people who make these kind of games often think that they can do it with ease where programmers/graphic disighners had to take years of classes and have more than a decade of experiance with doing it right

moral of the story, unless you really want to dedicate over a decade to leurn just don't do it, bec you simply don't know how to, so will screw it up in the end

ukalias

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
LV

Sep 19, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 1

I have run into the problem of having darkness ruin sex scenes in a lot of games. I prefer seeing the sex rather than realism too lol

Back
Top Bottom