Idea for a safer site...

walld

Registered
Lewd
LV

Dec 1, 2023
LC COIN
I am not a programmer or have any knowledge of the IT of a site like this, but from a general view of things, this is what I thought of

There are and will always be bad apples on every website, some even planted by groups and officials to watch everything. None of the new requirements will fix any of that. I would guess there are at least a dozen sleepers on here getting in good with the community, only to report the next new "bad" game that drops. Nothing will ever weed them out or fix it.

My personal opinion is that the need for posts makes this a huge honeypot for the feds to track every user - which is why lurking is a safer option. That said, don't hate on me until reading until the end, then hate away if appropriate :)

From the high level view it looks like the problem is that some games are "hosted" on here from an official standpoint and the hosting providers and cloudfare have issues with that.

One idea would be to get rid of the sinners games altogether off LC - don't hate on me yet :)

"somebody else" could make a server from a raspberry pi inside the tor network, and all the sinner games could move to there. The server would not need an exit node, just an onion address. This pi server would have a minimal website and serve magnet links or other links to different hosts, but I like the magnet link idea for keeping things p2p and not open to a single attack vector.

"somebody else" could sent up a vps, possibly with a vpn, and torrent the linked files, and maybe a series of cooperating vps's could be used to ensure speed and reliability.

Then "somebody else" could make an occasional post with the onion address of the pi server on the forum, and if there are any complaints that post could be taken down.

From my limited understanding of web rules, the post in the forum protects the website because nothing is directly hosted, and the post can be easily removed when asked. It isn't the fault of the website if the users post non-html links to things, and as long as any reports are responded to quickly then everything is fine from a hosting standpoint.

Things I would find challenging from a user standpoint are the tor access to the onion address, but that is probably a useful barrier to entry for sleeper backstabbers. Torrents are another personal preference thing, although I find have a torrent client running in the background to be easier than downloading in a browser for some files.

Security of the files can be achieved by having direct trust between the "somebody else" groups. I would rate the security of a torrent about the same as a download link from any of the sites here.

I would guess cost would be considerably reduced by removing the sinners section, and hosting could be safer from a threat of termination standpoint. The pi on tor seems like it would be minimal to run, and the vps would probably be a fixed rate. file names could be random or gibberish to keep any hosts from finding content objectionable on their own.

What would happen to the main LC website after a change like this? I would hope it would continue because I like the layout and the update factor of the games, as well as search, etc. The forum has taken a turn for the worse, in my opinion, just because now is there is so much noise to get to the arbitrary 35 number of posts. When that all clears up the forum may be useful again for actual game content.

Flame on :)

• Face Palm
Reactions: 1 users

Rece1234

Registered
Lewd
LV

Jan 8, 2024
LC COIN
I am not a programmer or have any knowledge of the IT of a site like this, but from a general view of things, this is what I thought of

There are and will always be bad apples on every website, some even planted by groups and officials to watch everything. None of the new requirements will fix any of that. I would guess there are at least a dozen sleepers on here getting in good with the community, only to report the next new "bad" game that drops. Nothing will ever weed them out or fix it.

My personal opinion is that the need for posts makes this a huge honeypot for the feds to track every user - which is why lurking is a safer option. That said, don't hate on me until reading until the end, then hate away if appropriate :)

From the high level view it looks like the problem is that some games are "hosted" on here from an official standpoint and the hosting providers and cloudfare have issues with that.

One idea would be to get rid of the sinners games altogether off LC - don't hate on me yet :)

"somebody else" could make a server from a raspberry pi inside the tor network, and all the sinner games could move to there. The server would not need an exit node, just an onion address. This pi server would have a minimal website and serve magnet links or other links to different hosts, but I like the magnet link idea for keeping things p2p and not open to a single attack vector.

"somebody else" could sent up a vps, possibly with a vpn, and torrent the linked files, and maybe a series of cooperating vps's could be used to ensure speed and reliability.

Then "somebody else" could make an occasional post with the onion address of the pi server on the forum, and if there are any complaints that post could be taken down.

From my limited understanding of web rules, the post in the forum protects the website because nothing is directly hosted, and the post can be easily removed when asked. It isn't the fault of the website if the users post non-html links to things, and as long as any reports are responded to quickly then everything is fine from a hosting standpoint.

Things I would find challenging from a user standpoint are the tor access to the onion address, but that is probably a useful barrier to entry for sleeper backstabbers. Torrents are another personal preference thing, although I find have a torrent client running in the background to be easier than downloading in a browser for some files.

Security of the files can be achieved by having direct trust between the "somebody else" groups. I would rate the security of a torrent about the same as a download link from any of the sites here.

I would guess cost would be considerably reduced by removing the sinners section, and hosting could be safer from a threat of termination standpoint. The pi on tor seems like it would be minimal to run, and the vps would probably be a fixed rate. file names could be random or gibberish to keep any hosts from finding content objectionable on their own.

What would happen to the main LC website after a change like this? I would hope it would continue because I like the layout and the update factor of the games, as well as search, etc. The forum has taken a turn for the worse, in my opinion, just because now is there is so much noise to get to the arbitrary 35 number of posts. When that all clears up the forum may be useful again for actual game content.

Flame on :)
Damn man great ideas

Back
Top Bottom