Developers: why did you pick your game engine?

lcstb

Registered
Lewd
Mar 13, 2023
LC COIN
I sometimes see games where I'm wondering: why did you pick that game engine (renpy/unity/java/...) where another game engine would have been so much easier for the type of game you're developing.

RandMierdin

Registered
May 3, 2024
LC COIN
Often it is because of familiarity. If you already know how to use a specific engine, it's generally easier to keep using it rather than learn a whole new engine.

DragonsFear

if it seems easy you're doing it wrong
Prestige 1
Prestige 2
Prestige 3
Prestige 4
Registered
Lewd
Nov 29, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 4
Prestige 3
Prestige 2
Prestige 1
I sometimes see games where I'm wondering: why did you pick that game engine (renpy/unity/java/...) where another game engine would have been so much easier for the type of game you're developing.
prob multiple reasons
familiarity, how fast can it be luerned, and how much impact dous it have to generate things on said PC

lcstb

Registered
Lewd
Mar 13, 2023
LC COIN
Often it is because of familiarity. If you already know how to use a specific engine, it's generally easier to keep using it rather than learn a whole new engine.
I understand that, but I've seen some games made in unity where I think: "You're only doing very simpel binary choices in a popup every time and no fancy animation stuff etc: why not renpy, it appears to me to be not that difficult to learn just the basics for that.
Or javascript games in a browser that are such an utter mess to look through the code where again the above applies...

RandMierdin

Registered
May 3, 2024
LC COIN
Even if it isn't that difficult (and that's subjective), it still does take some time and effort. That has to be weighed against what actual advantages you would gain. If a dev doesn't feel they would gain enough from changing engines, then why should they waste their time.

yibifi2784

Registered
Lewd
Sep 3, 2022
LC COIN
I understand that, but I've seen some games made in unity where I think: "You're only doing very simpel binary choices in a popup every time and no fancy animation stuff etc: why not renpy, it appears to me to be not that difficult to learn just the basics for that.
Or javascript games in a browser that are such an utter mess to look through the code where again the above applies...
Sometimes it's because the developer is trying to learn that engine/ programming language in order to do something more complex for their next game.

Reactions: 1 user

MattShizzle

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Apr 25, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I wonder why in the fucking hell anyone would pick RPGmaker. Anything made with it is shit. Is it just that easier to use than the other ones? Having to navigate sucks ass alone, but the map graphics are just terrible.

Naxos

Registered
Apr 24, 2022
LC COIN
I wonder why in the fucking hell anyone would pick RPGmaker. Anything made with it is shit. Is it just that easier to use than the other ones? Having to navigate sucks ass alone, but the map graphics are just terrible.
I tried making something with RPGmaker once, gave it 5 min before closing it and running away screaming. Mistake I made was going in totally blind and thinking it would be easy.

If I was making a VN, I'd use renpy 100%. It's easy to learn and use, almost everyone prefers it and the vn's I've played in unity/rpgm sucked to play. Being able to save anytime and roll back is 100% for the win.

MattShizzle

Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Apr 25, 2023
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I tried making something with RPGmaker once, gave it 5 min before closing it and running away screaming. Mistake I made was going in totally blind and thinking it would be easy.

If I was making a VN, I'd use renpy 100%. It's easy to learn and use, almost everyone prefers it and the vn's I've played in unity/rpgm sucked to play. Being able to save anytime and roll back is 100% for the win.
Makes me wonder even more why any use it.

Augustus

Game Developer
Prestige 1
Registered
Lewd
Jun 1, 2022
LC COIN
Prestige 1
I picked Renpy because it was the obvious choice. There are some valid reasons for using other engines, but I think a fair amount of non-Renpy games are non-Renpy because the developer didn't know any better. For anything without significant game elements Renpy is so easy to get started with that having experience with another system doesn't really count for anything.

Back
Top Bottom