A better and FOSS alternative to the Discord client (and less glitchy)

Valso

Proud sinner
Registered
Lewd
Mar 2, 2023
Website
valsobg.blogspot.com
LC COIN
What a cool thing I found - WebCord: an Electron client for discord created without the discord bugs* (a.k.a Discord API :p ) and it works awesome! A lot of things work a lot smoother and faster than they do on the original discord client. The only thing that it doesn't have in settings is hardware acceleration but considering that's almost 100% glitched thanks to intel and their libva, I'm OK without it. And it's interesting that WebCord's config files are only 22 MB, whereas discord's config file are 800 MB. ? As you can see from below pictures, it looks identical to the original discord client, altough some things are implemented in a better way (the scond image).

It's available for Linux, Windoz and for ARM architectures, altough I'm not quite sure how nupkg format will work with Android - that I still have to discover myself.

You must be registered to see attachments

* The discord bugs I mentioned earlier on this post are a few but one stands out and the developers seem to be either too lazy or incompetent of fixing: when I click the + button and then "upload a file", the original discord client opens the file selector window hidden in the background and I often have to use workarounds (such as alt+tab) in order to force it to appear to the foreground, whereas webcord opens the window in question in the foreground. Another bug that doesn't seem to be present in webcord is the regular discord's client crashing and closing itself when I put the computer to sleep and then wake the system up. After waking the system up, the original discord client crashes instantly. Webcord doesn't crash.
If discord developers don't get too greedy (not that they're not greedy already...) and too jealous of the new discord compatible alternative, I think webcord could beat the original by popularity some day. :D

DaveH

Registered
Lewd
May 1, 2022
LC COIN
I just use the webbrowser version.... don't feel like installing many other clients that are basically more webbrowsers... and couples with firefox containers, you can even have multiple accounts in different tabs.

Donation drives

Latest Updates page

everything that get donated will go to parceload who is developing the new latest updates page.
Goal
$1,500.00
Earned
$550.00
This donation drive ends in
Donation Drive
Click one of these buttons to initiate donation.
Back
Top Bottom